77 620: Ca18det vs ka24e vs l20b

kaoss

Ca18det, ka24e, l20b

These are what I am considering for my 77 620 project. It is going to lay flat rocker, so hood clearance is an issue. Here is what I have come up with and would like to know what you guys think. I

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ca18det, ka24e, l20b

These are what I am considering for my 77 620 project. It is going to lay flat rocker, so hood clearance is an issue. Here is what I have come up with and would like to know what you guys think. I

VG30??? theres some pics of a couple 510 swaps from canby that were super clean. They are wider but youd have hood clearance. Ditch the torsion bars and youve got all the room in the world. VG30ET or DETT would probably be double the headache but youd probably rape just about anything as soon as you got traction...

Yes, I have at least 2-1/2" clearance on the hood. The ka sits very low and flat. Big plus. Other plus, several of us have done it; tried and true, I've beaten several hondas in my truck, aftermarket is pretty good for that motor. The ka sohc is damn near bullet proof and will almost never let you down.

Not that I'm interested in loosing my reign as the only bagged, ka'd 620, but it's definitely the way you should go man.:D

I wanted to go CA18 on my car at first, but then you have to think about all teh extra fab work you have to do to get it in. And the parts avaliability isnt the greatest in this area, gotta go out of auzzy land.

I just recently put a ka24e in my dime and it runs circles around my old l20 and it was worked over pretty good.

you can find a CA18ET for cheap.... S12 guys swap to the DET or SR and get rid of them cheap..

prob a bunch of fab work again but the motor itself is inexpensive

maybe you would find one on club-s12.org

They are around 135hp 145tq stock.

Upgrade the turbo to a T25 from an SR and put on a downpipe and other junk and a perfectly quick little engine

i would shoot for the ka24e, specially if you already have one. keep in mind to that having just the engine and trying to piece everything together like the ecu, sensors and harness will "20buck" you to death. it 's cheaper to find a complete low mileage engine set. just for your info, in case you are interested, my dad just crashed his nissan truck with 85 thousand original miles, i will be taking the entire engine tranny and harness along with everything else and selling it.

i'm doing a ca18det swap right now to my b210 and it's really not that complicated of a swap. it would probably be easier in your truck since you have more space, the only draw back to swapping this engine in your truck is that it lacks a lot of low end torque.

Edited by b210in

I think that I am going to go with the KA24e. Beebani's engine compartment is pretty clean. The only reason I want the car intake is hood clearance. I wouldn't have to get it rebuilt until it told me that it needed it. It would be the cheapest route for me, without a rebuild. Thanks for the input guys, this has been a great discussion :)

I think that I am going to go with the KA24e. Beebani's engine compartment is pretty clean. The only reason I want the car intake is hood clearance. I wouldn't have to get it rebuilt until it told me that it needed it. It would be the cheapest route for me, without a rebuild. Thanks for the input guys, this has been a great discussion :)

and down the road its easy to do a cheap turbo setup on a ka24e :) T25 + FMU + 6-8lbs boost for safe easy cheap turbo setup if it's not fast enough ;)

sweet. I've read so much that I have a face ache! The only thing that I didn't find info on is the drive shaft. I would prefer to use the tranny that is already on the KA. I have the set up for a 4 speed, and I may have the set up for a 5 speed, (and yes i may have a 5 speed, so chill) on the 77's, but I don't know if there is any differences between the two:blink:. I guess it wouldn't cost to much to have a drive shaft shop make me one that ran from the tranny to the carrier bearring.