Pics Motor and tranny pull

72 327

Well as I stated in a post earlier, Im posting pics of the progress of the tranny pull I have had to do since 2nd gear went out in my truck.

In these trucks when you have a SBC motor you cant just pull the tranny you have to pull the motor and tranny. What a pain in the ass this is. Its not as bad as we thought but it not like it would be in a chevelle or simular that was made to have a motor of this size in it. Since the torsion bars are still used its not possible to remove the cross member since its part of the frame.

Engine will be cleaned up, repainted, engine bay is getting a good presure wash. All hoses are being replaced as well as dist cap and wires. Also electric fans since I live in 100+ deg summers here.

Ok here are some pics. This will be an on going thread since the work will probably take about 4 weeks since we only have sundays to work on it because of my buddys job and mine get in the way of getting together.

Also updates on shuttyfly here: http://datsun327620.shutterfly.com/

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Somebody asked me a while back about the mounts for the engine. here you go....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is how the tranny tunnel was modified

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I love this header it goes around the frame and also around the steering wheel tube.

ry%3D400

Edited by 72 327
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool headers you make them? I made mine for my V8 521 they are high fender-well exit would have rather ran them like yours but I did not think I could make them fit. So how is that thing to drive? cant keep mine on the road.:D:D

These headers are straight from HOOKER HEADER. Along time ago there was a kit sold (dont know who sold it) that allowed you to install SBC into these trucks. Hooker made the headers and there is still a part number floating around. I called about a year ago and they still had the headers in stock.

Its insane, this truck has a lightly modified(haha) 327 with double hump fuelie heads on it, big nasty cam. last dyno run was in the high 300 like 380hp around 330tq and that was with the tranny slipping.

Way too much fun with out a roll cage.

Looks like a shoehorn fit, that's for sure. I think if I even get a V8, it's going to have to be out of a Titan, I can't have domestic in my Datsun, just can't do it. Like oil and water. :D

I got a smack for this but I told my future ex wife(lol) the truck is foreign but it got domesticated (is that a word) like she did when she moved from PA to California and started cooking for me and my boys. LOL She said Im an asshole.

Yep caught it but only when I started uploading the pics on Sunday. I also noticed on the other side somebody put in one of those rubber plugs. Im going to be pulling all the freeze plugs out and repalcing them. Im also debating weather I should rebuild the motor since it should only cost around 600-700 with machine work. It would be nice to have a fresh motor but Im worried about my job and what not so its still in the air. I have a couple weeks to make up my mind. Will see

Its pretty stock as far as the front end goes. Im going to be putting front disc on it soon also. There is a bit of inner fender work done to make room for the headers.(see Pic) It fits in there really nice.

ry%3D480

• 3 weeks later...

*PIC UPDATE*

Ok so I finally got some time that my budddy and I could get back to the truck for a couple hours.

Things done. New rings, bearings, Freeze plugs replaced, painted block chevy orange, New tranny attached and engine in and bolted up.

Things needed to be done. Hook up tranny oil lines, hook up remote oil filters, driveline install, fluids, install electric fan, repaint engine bay (got some nics and I cant have that), polish alum and chrome parts, and instal brakes.

I again forgot my camera so all I have is cell pic but not bad.

Redoneeng.jpg?t=1237755198