KA24E guys; running aftermarket headers?

djlotus

This is aimed at the 510 guys that have done KA swaps, but if anybody has any ideas, feel free to chime in. I know most people try to get the DE but I got a good deal on single cam so I ran with it. In any event, I was curious if anybody has gotten an aftermarket header for their setup.

I'm looking into this one because it's affordable and it already has multiple spots for the O2 sensor. And seeing as the O2 sensor has to be moved on the stock manifold those options are quite nice.

SSHDNS138990KA24-272.gif

My only hangups about getting it are the fact that it may not clear and that I may go KA-T in the next year or so. But then again it is a small investment even if I do need to toss it when I get a turbo manifold.

My other option is to just plug the O2 manifold and have my buddy rebuild the downpipe portion and weld an O2 bung on there. That'd work right?

Bonus question: for those who run a strut bar from a 240sx, do you use the s13 or s14 one? Or is it just a certain style one that is used? I ask this because I've seen bars that don't impede the use of the stock hood bar/holder dealy.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the same ebay one I'm running in my car. It is just a pita to shoehorn in there. You just have to flatten one of the runners in to a slight d shape to clear the steering gear box. I bearly clears the floorboard so you better have good mounts.

Why waste the money? I used the stock manifold and 240 sx down pipe in my 510 wagon I relocated the o2 sensor and welded up the hole for the egr and it was done and fit perfect. Clears the box fine and is a inch or so away from the floor board. Those headers are a waste of time and effort unless you have no exhaust at all then I could understand.

Why waste the money? I used the stock manifold and 240 sx down pipe in my 510 wagon I relocated the o2 sensor and welded up the hole for the egr and it was done and fit perfect. Clears the box fine and is a inch or so away from the floor board. Those headers are a waste of time and effort unless you have no exhaust at all then I could understand.

Sweet. I love it when someone knows what common stuff works. Leaves more $$$ for da bling! :cool:

It's been DYNO proven that KA's enjoy breathing. 2.5"-3" exhaust is perfect for a N/A KA. Just going with intake and exhaust wakes the KA up, and advancing the timing about 5* makes it a truly agressive motor on premium octane pump gas.

I dunno... That's why I went for headers, at least. Plus they look way better.

I'll slap a link on here with the thread about stock motor with intake/exhaust dyno.

EDIT: Here's the link. On a fresh KA-DE motor, there was a 12hp gain with a 3" exhaust and intake vs without. On another test, 10hp from stock to intake and exhaust.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/177055-na-ka24de-motors-love-breathe-my-stock-motor-dyno-pics.html

Edited by WagDatto

I'm sure exhaust and intake does wake it up some. All I was saying is that if your gonna go the turbo route their is no real point in buying a flashy header that will be swapped out later. I'd say save the money get all the kinks out then splurge for the turbo manifold.

I guess I'll put the money towards a white bunny special then. I was just curious because it may be a bitch to fix my dp and I was hoping for a little better clearance near the steering box but I can make do.

Thanks for the input guys.