Remote Oil Filter.

DatDoug

I just bought a rebuilt L20b. He was setting it up 4 a remote oil filter and I noticed that on the stock blocks there is what seems to be a little ballbearing that springs back and forth. On the one I bought there is no bearing. It looks as if they put a plug in there. What is the purpose of this bearing and can I run a regular oil filter on the block with the way it is?? Or should I run the remote oil filter and what is the benefit of running a remote oil filter

Stock Oil Filter Outlet

oilfilter005.jpg[/img]

New L20 motor oil filter outlet

oilfilter004.jpg[/img]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a spring loaded by pass valve. If for some unexplained reason your oil filter should plug up the pressere will rise and push past the ball and still lube the motor. It seems like an unlikely event. Using too much RTV sealant when assembling could do this if it first got past the pick up screen.

NOTE: If this does happen the motor is running on unfiltered oil. Probably no big deal as all the pan oil has been filtered through the filter countless times and will be pretty clean.

I suppose a hi volume pump that has been shimmed to put out 90-100 lbs might briefly pop it open and closed. ??:confused:??

Edited by datzenmike
That's a spring loaded by pass valve. If for some unexplained reason your oil filter should plug up the pressere will rise and push past the ball and still lube the motor. It seems like an unlikely event. Using too much RTV sealant when assembling could do this if it first got past the pick up screen.

NOTE: If this does happen the motor is running on unfiltered oil. Probably no big deal as all the pan oil has been filtered through the filter countless times and will be pretty clean.

I suppose a hi volume pump that has been shimmed to put out 90-100 lbs might briefly pop it open and closed. ??:confused:??

Thanks DatzenMike:D