Engine paint question

oscilloscope

Hey Everyone! I am rebuilding an R16 engine and painted it original Datsun blue. I have the bottom end and timing cover stuff together, just haven't added the oil pump, pan, freeze plugs and head. Here's the dumb part. It just occured to me that I didn't spray the block with primer before I painted it. Didn't even occur to me. I was just too excited to make it look pretty I guess.

So, if I finish putting everything together and drive it, I figure I'm gonna start peeling the paint pretty quickly. I think I'd like to strip the paint and just repaint it, blocking off the open parts of the engine, of course. Should I just use a wire brush attachment on a grinder or drill? Any other ideas? I obviously don't want to wreck any of the other parts of the rebuild in the process.

Thanks for the ideas!

Matthew...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I used the proper high-temp engine paint. Yay! I did something right!

I'm just thinking that I would just much rather redo it now while it's out of the car if it's going to at all be a problem in the future. What are my chances of getting away with it?

Thats hard to guess. Well if the motor is out it may be easier now. I wouldnt remove all of the paint,,simply scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad prime then paint again.