New floor pans and or rails

280zx2by2

hey guys i figured you guys would be a little more knowledgeable in this topic so im here :D

im looking to get a 280z and i havent completely looked the car over but from what i have seen the only rust i noticed (the car was striped) was in the floor boards, and there were holes, not just surface rust...

my question is.... can i replace the floor pans with out replacing the floor rails? i just dont have a shop or garage to do this in and the most i can see myself doing is the pans...

not every one can afford a car rotisserie :D ... :(

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's possible, but you'll want to make sure the rails are in good shape and not on their way to being rusted through.

Drummingpariah will be replacing just his floorboards and leaving the rails in his new 240Z. His rails are pretty solid though.

thanks gollum, didnt know he was going to just rep. the pans, thought with that amount of rust he was going to have to do a complete R&R

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OPTION 1 ---- Well , by the time a shop does something like this , I am just guestimating that for labor , mark-up of parts , time ( will they do it per agreement or per hour ? ) , other problems that the shop will want you to fix or more pieces to buy it can be pretty spendy ! ( I am just roughly guessing that it will cost you at least $500-600 to start maybe more ??? ) Other things to consider are painting , undercoating , and sound deadening included in the price ? :confused: sometimes shops can be fair , other times they need to survive too ! Just need to feel out all of your options. :)

OPTION 2 -----It is too bad you have no place to do this in ? ( maybe wait til summer or at a buddy's place ) You can actually get this all done in a full committed day for yourself if isn't too bad. Just plan on using reference locaters for the seat brackets as well as frame locaters. Considering you will need tools like , welder , hammer , grinder , grinding wheels , cut-off wheels, tin snips , measuring tape , locaters ( jigs for seats , old frame rails , etc.. ). So if it comes down to it if you do have access to tools than it might be a cheaper , and better option to let a shop handle it. As far as the frame rails , you can do the mid-body frame rails yourself , the engine bay frame rails I would definetly get quotes on this for geometry , lineup , and being able to go down the road straight after you are done.

OPTION 3 ---- Like Murderwagon said " If they are not too bad patch them " nuff said , and solid advice if your frame rails are good :thumbsup: