Fender Flares on a 810 Goon?

zetozeto99

So I have been playing with the idea of getting some fender flares on the Wagon eventually... This is a 610 but this is what I'm shooting for (body shapes are not too different):

1awesome.jpg

Obviously trying to find a set specific for the 810 is near impossible. My only option is using a set from a S30/S130 Z... now all the fender flares sets I have seen for Z's seem to be made of fiberglass or CF which I think probably will not fit with a lot of modification. I could have sworn I used to see fender flares that were like a flexible urethane material... I think this would be easier to work with. Where can I get these? Or do you guys think the fiberglass ones will work without too much work?

Eventually I would like to have an air-dam similar to the one on this wagon fab'd up or adapted to fit my 810 too!

Thanks in adavnce!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where to find some but, how crafty are you? After looking at you ideal photo inspires me to "fab up" some templates for my 521. Card board is cheap and realitivly easy to work with. Make templates with card board for one side. trace the template on to some sheet metal. Then flip the template over for the other side.

I'm quick to make something on my own (if it doesn't look to complicated).

Instead of making indentions for the bolts you could make folding tabs that fold to the inside and bolt on. Leaving a clean looking flair. Maybe using a one sidded sticking foam inbetween the flair and body.

Just a thought.

Also you could try and use Plastic Styrine. It comes in sheets of various sizes. You could find it at various art stores. Use a heat gun to "shape" it. Using your templates. it would be possibile to make the cut outs for the bolt holes then. Using a exacto knife to cut everythig.

To cut it you basicly use a straight edge and scribe it where you want to cut it, then place it on a hard edge of a table under the scribe marks and flex it downward, it will snap at the scrib line that you make.

If this is sounds crazy then just tell me I'm crazy, but I haven't had much luck in the past with finding body parts so I tend to make my own, if they turn out bad or ugly I just try again. This is where I would start at. I really want a front air dam like the ones on a 510 just haven't gotten around to making one.

Yea, Just buy some foam and go to town. Shape it the way you like then use that for a mold and make them out of fiberglass. If you jack it up throw it in the can and do it again. :D

Edited by datrod

Zetozeto99,

So I've been battling school and now I think I've caught a cold or something. I did get my lazy butt up and work on some flairs. here are som pic I took. I did these in about an hour. I rushed because it started to rain and card board and rain doesn't mix to well. I did the rear flair first. I needed about a three inch flair so I cut a strip of cardboard that was 40x6 in. rear and 46x5 in. front. I still needed an extra inch to complete the rear flair. (that's what she said.....right) Ok I tucked the board under the inside lip and taped it into place. to achive the look you want I taped the edge of the board near the out side of the bed/ fender side. Then I pushed the outer edges of the board inward but leaving an inch or so. That is important. After taping all the way along and was ok with it I traced a line on the board that followed the profile of the bed/fender. I then removed it and cut it out. I then started at one end and moved to the other re-taping it to the side. at this point you could make a flair, just tape up the side of your car (to keep resin and fiberglass off your car) and and put some plastic on the tire and ground. And fiberglass on top of the card board using several layers of fiberglass to make the flair, or you could remove the card board and used it as a template to trace on to some sheet metal. Cut it out and shape it accordingly. that choice is up to you. Me I would make metal templates, 1. I personaly like working with metal. 2. it's not as messy. Or you could do both. Metal Base and then add glass on top of it or use a good quality body filler.

Also remember it's just cardboard. If you don't like it just toss that peice and start over.

Leave yourself room to trace the profile of the fender onto the template. If your tracing marks runs onto the tape just use a razor blade and cut the tape BETWEEN the template and fender, then cut out the template.

Also you could use more board and trace out a lip if you want. if you went with fiberglass that would work ok, if you went with metal then you would have to weld it on.

Cardboard_flairs003.jpg

Cardboard_flairs007.jpg

Cardboard_flairs008.jpg

Cardboard_flairs009.jpg

Cardboard_flairs010.jpg

Cardboard_flairs011.jpg

Cardboard_flairs013.jpg

Cardboard_flairs014.jpg

Cardboard_flairs015.jpg

Cardboard_flairs018.jpg

Cardboard_flairs024.jpg

Cardboard_flairs026.jpg

Cardboard_flairs028.jpg

Cardboard_flairs028.jpg

Cardboard_flairs031.jpg

Cardboard_flairs032.jpg[/img]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jaimesix
Zetozeto99,

So I've been battling school and now I think I've caught a cold or something. I did get my lazy butt up and work on some flairs. here are som pic I took. I did these in about an hour. I rushed because it started to rain and card board and rain doesn't mix to well. I did the rear flair first. I needed about a three inch flair so I cut a strip of cardboard that was 40x6 in. rear and 46x5 in. front. I still needed an extra inch to complete the rear flair. (that's what she said.....right) Ok I tucked the board under the inside lip and taped it into place. to achive the look you want I taped the edge of the board near the out side of the bed/ fender side. Then I pushed the outer edges of the board inward but leaving an inch or so. That is important. After taping all the way along and was ok with it I traced a line on the board that followed the profile of the bed/fender. I then removed it and cut it out. I then started at one end and moved to the other re-taping it to the side. at this point you could make a flair, just tape up the side of your car (to keep resin and fiberglass off your car) and and put some plastic on the tire and ground. And fiberglass on top of the card board using several layers of fiberglass to make the flair, or you could remove the card board and used it as a template to trace on to some sheet metal. Cut it out and shape it accordingly. that choice is up to you. Me I would make metal templates, 1. I personaly like working with metal. 2. it's not as messy. Or you could do both. Metal Base and then add glass on top of it or use a good quality body filler.

Also remember it's just cardboard. If you don't like it just toss that peice and start over.

Leave yourself room to trace the profile of the fender onto the template. If your tracing marks runs onto the tape just use a razor blade and cut the tape BETWEEN the template and fender, then cut out the template.

Also you could use more board and trace out a lip if you want. if you went with fiberglass that would work ok, if you went with metal then you would have to weld it on.

Cardboard_flairs003.jpg

Cardboard_flairs007.jpg

Cardboard_flairs008.jpg

Cardboard_flairs009.jpg

Cardboard_flairs010.jpg

Cardboard_flairs011.jpg

Cardboard_flairs013.jpg

Cardboard_flairs014.jpg

Cardboard_flairs015.jpg

Cardboard_flairs018.jpg

Cardboard_flairs024.jpg

Cardboard_flairs026.jpg

Cardboard_flairs028.jpg

Cardboard_flairs028.jpg

Cardboard_flairs031.jpg

Cardboard_flairs032.jpg[/img]

That is very cool stuff. I always wondered about making my own over fender flares.

For the 810, there is these "Z" overfender flares that work on an 810, I belive. These flares work on 610s and 710s. I have not purchased a set yet, but I may be doing so in the future for my rides, that unless I can master Datsupra's method.

Check this out. Not cheap though, reason why I have not purchased a set yet. I would like to try Datsupra's method . I think that with the cardboard base as shown, and some plaster putty, a mold could be created. That mold can be used to make a fiberglass copy. I would wrap the inside of the flare over the lip of the fender. In that way, the flare would be attached firmly, and using a rubber gasket ( made out from bycicle tire tubbing ) would become the perfect inside attachment point.

Sounds good.

Here the link to the parts I was talking about.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA02/50-1562

Hope it works ( link )

Jaime._______________________________________________________