Info on L16 swap to b310/210

ive search the net...but i couldn't find any technical info on how to swap L16 into b310 or 210

only some picture of it.. but its not so informative yet

saw few thread in ratsun also but lack of info...:(

anyone know where or how?

local foreman here(malaysia) they always said its a crazy job to do...but not ca18det swap...they always says that it requires a lot of weld n modifying on the xmember n on the engine bay...is that true?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you have looked at the Datsun 1200 site? This page has a article on swapping L-series, I guess into a 1200, but some of the information may apply to newer models. The article won't open for me. Maybe you have to register with the site to view it. http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=listarticles&secid=2

There is also a Forum on the 1200 site where someone may have posted information relating to the swap you want to do. http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/

Len

I've heard, but cannot confirm, that if you take the lower subframe from a '78-79 510 it will bolt into a '79+ B310 (210) and give you the proper mounts for an L-series. The Japanese "Sunny Excellent" was a B310 chassis with an L-series, so it was done. And the A10 chassis (the 78-81 510) had an A14 variant as well (140J). Just not here in North America.

thanks LenRobertson...been there...but couldnt find it..

i heard that too datsunaholic...but 510 xmember is harder to get compare to PA10 xmember here...

most A10 here is L16 (160J) or L14 (140J) , i never saw an A series angine on A10 yet..

will take a tour at local scrapyard for the xmember...:D

• 3 weeks later...

B310 is the easiest of all. Use the parts from an 1977-1982 Datsun A10 (Stanza/510). Using the A10 crossmember and oil pan makes this swap easy. Use the 'short' L-series transmission and a B310 automatic driveshaft (or any A10 driveshaft).

The Japanese "Sunny Excellent" was a B310 chassis with an L-series, so it was done.
Actually "Sunny Excellent" was either B110 or B210 with L-series.

B310 with L-series was effectively the "Stanza" or Datsun 510 (A10 model). The A10 outside of USA was gussied up and looked quite formal. The USA version (Datsun 510) was simpler looking and had four headlights instead of B310 two headlights. Entire front suspension is identical.

Width is no problem. B110, B210 and Sunny Excellents are all the same width in the engine bay. B310 is quite a bit wider, a good 1.5 - 2 inches.

L-series engine fits well in all three.

But why bother with L16? Fit L18 or L20B instead.