280zx struts and wheel backspacing ???

ok... So I have a set of 200sx wheels, they are 15x6 +32 (based on my measurements), when bolted to the 280zx struts with a 3/8" spacer (+32 adds up to a 4.75" backspacing with the spacer that's 4.375") the wheel hits the struts... Weak! So I ordered a set of 15x7 +15 (4.60" backspacing and 4.225" with 3/8" spacer)... Now that all this math has been driving me crazy I am thinking that a +15 isn't going to fit either.

Any thoughts? Am I just over thinking this crap?? At this point it's looki g like I will be reusing the stock struts and brakes...

Any cars with a 12x1.25 wheel studs that can be used as longer replacements for a 510 (on the cheap of course, Ratsun style!)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no not two different thicknesses, there are two different spindle angles, the ones at pap that I chose not to get were the less desirable ones with more positive camber. They do however allow more backspacing due to the spindle angle but on a 510 it requires a lot of camber adjustment to correct the positive camber that's built in.

Thanks Steve! Are those 12x1.25 thread?

I ask because one of my front wheel lips is much closer to the strut than the other side. the whole suspension looks straight and original.

this new info makes me think one strut was replaced. I just want to get my front end symetrical. sorry to hijack...

You took the brown 1979 280ZX struts. The other car I saw was 1980. Black 2+2. So 1980+ are less desirable? hmmm... I may need one 1979 front right strut.

there's a lot of contradicting info on the whole spindle angle thing... You'll just have to take your own measurements. Make sure you measure your lower control arms, I know from personal experience that there's two different struts, but never owned a 280zx so who knows what parts nissan changed on the cars with different struts.

no not two different thicknesses, there are two different spindle angles, the ones at pap that I chose not to get were the less desirable ones with more positive camber. They do however allow more backspacing due to the spindle angle but on a 510 it requires a lot of camber adjustment to correct the positive camber that's built in.

Boy, there's some trivia to amaze your friends with. :D