Alternator or regulator?

Drfixit

I thought I was pretty good at electrical but after I replaced my alt, VR and Dist I didnt have any spark. With points its real simple to track down and I kept tracing power to the distr, coil bench ested good but the power wire to the distr from the coil wouldnt pulse it just stayed on all the time. Dist came with new points, guess I forgot to check them as they werent making contact LOL!!!!!! Geesh, when you hear hoofbeats dont look for Zebras look for horses!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the power wire to the distr from the coil wouldnt pulse it just stayed on all the time.

The power stays on all the time its the ground that switches ON/OFF on the points.

remove the wires from the dist

clamp a test light from the distributor hookup to the +side battery. When the points are closed the coil will charge(Test light lights). then points open test light will go OFF but coil will fire.

If Test light doesnt flash something is grounded in the distributor,

Is a screw going thru a wire?

SOMETIMES JUST REMOVING THE POINTS AND CONDENSOR AND PUTTING IT BACK WILL MAKE IT WORK AGAIN.

It has happen to me a few times

The F wire is a seperate terminal on the alt and it hooks to the starter. Not sure what is what but i got it all back, put it on and it works so it must be hooked up right!!

Hmmmmm, doesn't sound right to me for some reason, but if it works.....

Did you happen to take a pic of the clean, rebuilt alt (especially the back where the wires/connections are) before bolting it in?

No darn it I didnt. But check this out. Today i go out start the truck and take off and I find I have no turn signals, temp gauge, gas gauge and the ignition light now is red when the engine is running and off when the engine is off and key is on. Man I traced crap all day and finally found a loose connection at the flasher!!! Figure that one out LOL