.......L-series gurus please help..............

kjz71521

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lift the hood and check the clutch master cylinder reservoir. Is the fluid level right? If empty you could re-fill it, but it's likely leaking at the slave cylinder and will just go dry again. Take a look at the slave... it's probably wet or dripping. Let me know.

Will it go into gear if the engine is off?

If the answer is "no" then the transmission is broken, not entirely unusual for the 521 stock transmission to have linkage failure.

If the answer is "yes", can you start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed and the shifter in gear?

If the answer there is "no" then the answer is the clutch is stuck (rusted to the flywheel or the clutch disc has delaminated, I've had both happen) OR the clutch hydraulics aren't working. The latter could be a dry hydraulic sytem, air in the lines, a failed master or slave cyl, or a combination.

If you can start the engine, in gear, with the clutch depressed, then drive around in first but can't shift back into gear with the engine running once you pop it out of gear then usually the clutch is dragging.

I don't think the problem is one other possibility (bad synchros) because that usually only manifests when moving.