1970 521 With L20B running horrible

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

long as you go the 12volts going to the ballast then the down side to the +side coil and the HOT start to +side coil that is it. hot start is the wire that has 12v only in the SART position.

-side coil goes to the dist tab.

take coil center wire place near ground and should give a snapping sparking to the chassis.

you can also

get a test light

pull the point wire off. then take the allergator end of the test light clamp it to the tab. then take the other pointy end and hook it up to the +side battery.

when light is on points are closed. no light points open. then start the truck and see if it flashes ON/OFF if yes then the dist is most likely good. then ck the capcitor. Most newer Volt meters have a cap cker mode

I had this happen to my 521 last couple times i drove it.

seem like I lost gas or ignition for a second or so.

then just thursday I had it just die on me. Pulled over then it statred up and drove home fine.

I looked at my Pertronix and looked ok then for some reason I turned the cap over and the center Carbon post on the dist cap was pretty much FLUSH. Just worn down to nothing. Then after that I looked at my rotor and notice it was the smaller L16 rotor in a L20 dist cap. I have been running this for years. the gap must be 1/4 inch and it ran fine for years.  maybe Pinged a bit more.

I have a stack of the old Standard Motor Product Blue streak Copper contack dist caps. Hopefull this will last another 8yrs!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Well after an absorbent amount of time and agonizing over what could be wrong with the truck, I was able to get with Hainz and go over all of the common causes of the symptoms. Hainz kept leaning back to possibly distrbutor related so, I pulled the distributor and gave it a thorough cleaning and replaced the new condenser with another new one and Bingo, we now have a sweet running machine again!!

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with ideas, much appreciated! And special thanks to Hainz ✌️

• Like 1