720 "Clutch Switch",.... "I'm Just A Guy Asking Questions"

LOL

No, I'm not Jesse Ventura,......

The subject of the Stop / Brake Light Switch was discussed and the clutch switch was mentioned.

Just guessing it's present as a "kind-of neutral safety switch"

That is too say the engine won't crank over unless the clutch pedal is down.

I remember one car that I had, you had to step on the brake pedal for the engine to crank..

MM 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should also be a switch that is part of the fuel shut off system. On deceleration the throttle is closed but idle fuel is still being sucked in and serves no purpose and gets dumped out the exhaust. Thus if the idle cut solenoid is turned off this gas is saved. A vacuum switch sensing high intake vacuum from deceleration turns off the idle cut. While in operation is the clutch is depressed contact is made with the clutch switch and the idle cut is restored so the engine does not stall. Also the transmission switch senses coasting in neutral and the neutral transmission switch make contact to restore the idle cut. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There should also be a switch that is part of the fuel shut off system. On deceleration the throttle is closed but idle fuel is still being sucked in and serves no purpose and gets dumped out the exhaust. Thus if the idle cut solenoid is turned off this gas is saved. A vacuum switch sensing high intake vacuum from deceleration turns off the idle cut. While in operation is the clutch is depressed contact is made with the clutch switch and the idle cut is restored so the engine does not stall. Also the transmission switch senses coasting in neutral and the neutral transmission switch make contact to restore the idle cut. 

Pretty fancy compared to my 57'

MM

• Like 1

Cuts down on HC emissions and saves gas every time you let off the gas, but people like to "remove that emissions crap" and they throw the baby out with the bath water.