Need Help Diagnosing Engine Noise.

Hey, I'm searching for a potential ka24de on marketplace and I found this 2000 Frontier with relatively low mileage. I'm concerned about this noise which could be valve knock? It does sound like it could be a loose exhaust maybe? Seller said he thinks it's the alternator but it's not a whining sound. Reason I'm asking for help is it's about a 5 hour drive away. Thank you

https://www.facebook.com/share/zHpSJ6XsWmPJs1uW/

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a 5hr drive away maybe you can get him to come down in price and make it worth while to spend that much time to go look at it. It's usually something worse than what the seller says.  Coming from a cheap old mans viewpoint it might be worth going to look at it, depending on price. 

Don

What is valve knock? do you mean valve clearance?

Can't hear anything on the video.

Alternator? take the belt off and listen.

5 hrs. away I say forget about it.

• Like 1

It's a looks like really clean pickup, It might be a good thing to go look at it, depending on price. If it has been on the market for a while, look at it very carefully. If it's an alternator like he says, that may be just a bearing. For about a hundred bucks you might get a good pickup. If you listen to it with a long screwdriver, or ? and it sounds like a bearing it is a real easy fix. Whatever you do, make sure you are real careful around a running motor.

Don

Pretty vague. You'd have to go and take a video of it running and driving. Engines make noise running. Exhaust leaks make noise but not what I would call a knock. Worn and damaged rod bearings definitely knock... like a large hammer hitting the inside of the block, low frequency and muffled, usually much quieter at idle but really loud under load. When the bearing is close to seizing it squeals. Valve train noise is a ticking, tapping sound, timing chains might rattle. PS pump, tensioner pulley, alternator bearing or belt can growl or squeal. Then there is the water pump and belt and the clutch fan. All of these can be eliminated by removing the belt. 

Thanks Mike really helpful. It's at the start of the video. It's more sporadic and does sound like the exhaust. Wish it was closer. Maybe offer sub 1k and take some of the risk out of it.