Best insulation/sound deadener

Hey guys,

Whats the best insulation/sound deadener product out there?  Is there a big difference between products?  I'm looking to insulate my 521, should I just be treating the floors or doors and under the seat as well?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Run the floor covering as far up under the dash as you can and under the seat, remove seat if you have to, and up the back of the cab to the rear window. (unless there is no cover on the 521, I had one don't remember) Perhaps consider covering with carpet? It's hard to cover the outer door skin and the inner skin won't allow the door card back on.

I did my wagon with 1/4" or 3/8" thick roll on or 'torch on' butyl/rubberized roofing tar. This is 2 1/2 foot wide rolls of dry roofing tar with plastic backing. It's dry and flexible but when warmed and laid it takes the shape of an uneven floor. I got it on a building site. Roofers don't like joining part roll pieces and throw them away. I got two part rolls for nothing. Cuts easily with tin snips. Heat with torch and you can join odd shaped pieces and press together. Only difference between this and Dyno-mat is the foil covering and the insane cost.  

dyno mat is fantastic but also costs more due to the name brand 

as mike said the rubberized sticky roofing stuff will work well

floors/firewall and rear of cab are the most important 

inside the door on the outer shell even if you add some partial pieces will make the doors sound more solid and reduce noise 

on the roof if possible as well 

all sound deadening is good buy what your budget can afford 

avoid the cheapest one usually as most of the time there is a reason its cheaper 

It's definitely NOT sticky. It's dry to the touch and hands stay clean. Looks like rubber sheet. Not at all messy. You can heat lightly with propane torch and soften and even 'weld' pieces together. Cuts cleanly with tin snips.

There was a skid of left over rolls at a work site that they forgot to take with them when the roof was finished. After a few weeks we needed the room so we had them come and take it away. I asked the kid if I could have a small part roll, he said take all you want, saves me lifting it.