cylinder head bolts

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge they are reusable. The KA series were the first to use the TTY bolts.

Make sure they are clean and wiped with an oily rag before use. Block threads clean. AS always on an aluminum head there should be a steel washer under the bolt head.

Why was the head off twice? Did the gasket blow?

Well there are several reasons why a head gasket does not seal. One would be that the head is warped and needs to be milled flat. Another is that the head or block surfaces were not cleaned of every trace of the old gasket. But too aggressive cleaning with something abrasive can damage the soft aluminum head and I suppose that improper tightening of the head bolts could also lead to the gasket failure.

Any shop that can't successfully perform a head gasket on a classic Datsun is either A - not a real shop, B - a really crappy shop, or C - there's something missing from that information and we'll find out later that the head was cracked, this was a buddy deal or there was a massive disclaimer ahead of time.

Not to be cynical, but there is more to this story. We'd love to help you get this motor running. Maybe we should start at the beginning.

Hi I'm Matt...

• Like 2

Yup pretty hard to fuck up a head change. Better to do it yourself. Bet this would cost well over $500-$600 bux at any shop. For that you've just paid someone to self teach themselves how to do and they get to keep that knowledge, when you could have bought all the tools and parts needed to do it yourself and you keep the knowledge. Last head gasket cost me $30 for the gasket and a morning and part of an afternoon. I slept in.

• Like 1