Max weight for bed (Payload)

IZRL

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

About 20 years ago I went across the scales in my 320 at the dump and found that I was carrying just under 2000 lbs in the bed. I can say that the drive to the dump was frightening. Every little bump made the steering almost non-existent.

I only did that once.

I will admit that once I get enough weight on my flatbed(over 3000lbs) the front end starts wandering a little(I expect one might think I am an impaired driver), when this happens I slow down, what frightens me then is I am the slowest vehicle on the road at 55mph to 60mph, I consider people that do not go with the flow as a hazard, I am positive a few on here will not agree with that statement, especially when the flow is 80mph which includes big trucks, at night they drive fast.

BTW, my trailer has electric trailer brakes, night and day difference when stopping.

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wayno you can drive any way you feel safe. Myself I wouldn't go 80 just because everyone else does. I would go the speed limit and 2-3k over in the slow lane. On trips, if I can, I take tertiary roads that have less traffic and usually locals. No hurry. Some places it's unavoidable. Last time I was in Ontario I left the usual 3 seconds spacing which means some asshole wants that space so I have to slowly drop back, and the nest guy wants it. I don't like following that close, too much bloody work trying to figure out what's happening.   

On 5/17/2024 at 5:08 PM, datzenmike said:

That much weight it may have a 4.375 or possibly a 4.625 differential. That would make turning the tires a lot easier. There should be an engine tag on the passenger side inner fender under the hood hinge. You may already have posted about it . 

What's the wheelbase? Want to know if just a long wheelbase KC or Long Box frame.

Long wheelbase for KC, Long Box and Heavy duty/Cab Chassis are 2,815mm or 110.8" if this is longer then it's anyone's guess what it weighs or carries.

Heavy Duty and Cab/Chassis have stronger leaf springs, rated to carry and extra 600 pounds, 4.375 gears may have H-190 or C-200 differential, dual rear tires on some (probably the C-200) and different E78-14 tires. Only available with manual 5 speed transmission. This is for the Z24 powered trucks, earlier ones had some differences.

Wheel base measured at about 9'3" (111"), so 110.8" sounds right. It has 4.62 gears. According to the engine tag it originally came with a z22 and a 4 speed manual. Previous owner swapped in the Z24 with 5 speed manual. Has c-200.

8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

About 20 years ago I went across the scales in my 320 at the dump and found that I was carrying just under 2000 lbs in the bed. I can say that the drive to the dump was frightening. Every little bump made the steering almost non-existent.

It was definitely getting a little squirrelly up front.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IZRL said:

Wheel base measured at about 9'3" (111"), so 110.8" sounds right. It has 4.62 gears. According to the engine tag it originally came with a z22 and a 4 speed manual. Previous owner swapped in the Z24 with 5 speed manual. Has c-200.

I guess maybe my idea of adding bags wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. My truck is only rated at 2630lbs in the rear with a c200 which must mean you have heavier springs.

PXL_20240518_201437408.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2024 at 5:47 AM, datzenmike said:

U is probably for dual cab. Obviously has it's own load rating. Even empty that's a lot of weight to haul around. Any idea on your mileage?

Ok, I've tried to get the mpg's for the truck twice since you asked, but both times have been cut short(only 6 & 8 gallons). On top of that I only drive the Truck about 2X a week max. 

So im gonna take both numbers and cut it down the middle. Im gonna say it gets 16 mpg give or take ½ a mile. Has a Z24 with stock weber 32/36.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

2wd get low 20s, 4wd get high teens. 16 is not, not believable.

Not believable?😆.... not believable as in I might be lying about something, or not believable as in I might have done it wrong 😀

Thinking about it you might be right about it not being correct. There was a couple of times where I carried significantly more weight than just myself in the truck. but only about 5 miles each per test. Didn't think it would make that much of a difference on such a short distance. 

I'll give it another go without trips with extra weight this time. Although I'm not really sure why I'm trying to figure this out. I can just ask a group i belong to that is specifically for these trucks. What they're getting on average.

Edited by IZRL
Posted (edited)

Ha, while posting the question in the fb group I realized that my truck is frankensteined and I'm pretty sure my truck/engine/gear ratio combo didn't come stock anywhere in the world. So only real way to find out the mileage on my truck is to test it correctly myself. 

I still posted the question to see what people said.

Edited by IZRL
4 hours ago, IZRL said:

Not believable?😆.... not believable as in I might be lying about something, or not believable as in I might have done it wrong 😀

Thinking about it you might be right about it not being correct. There was a couple of times where I carried significantly more weight than just myself in the truck. but only about 5 miles each per test. Didn't think it would make that much of a difference on such a short distance. 

I'll give it another go without trips with extra weight this time. Although I'm not really sure why I'm trying to figure this out. I can just ask a group i belong to that is specifically for these trucks. What they're getting on average.

I said it's NOT, not believable. A double negative I thought you would appreciate.

Most gas is used to accelerate the mass of truck and load up to speed. When ever you use the brakes this is thrown away and why mileage is better on the highway where there are few stops, but you know this. All things equal the heavier the truck the poorer the mileage. Everyone drives differently so there is a lot of +/- in results. ANYONE can increase their mileage by 10% or more simply by changing how they drive. 16 (i'll say it) is totally within reason for weight and gearing and driving style..

• Like 1

I said it's NOT, not believable. A double negative I thought you would appreciate.

Ha, I would have appreciated it if I wasn't so slow. I got confoosed 😀.

Most gas is used to accelerate the mass of truck and load up to speed. When ever you use the brakes this is thrown away and why mileage is better on the highway where there are few stops, but you know this. All things equal the heavier the truck the poorer the mileage. Everyone drives differently so there is a lot of +/- in results. ANYONE can increase their mileage by 10% or more simply by changing how they drive. 16 (i'll say it) is totally within reason for weight and gearing and driving style..

Ah, good point, way too many patameters to truly get an accurate average mpg in an uncontrolled environment. On top of that the truck spends 99% of it's life in stop and go traffic, so no highway miles to add to the equation. 

• Like 1

Short trips where the choke is on more isn't good either. My work partner used to drive sometimes (and drive me crazy) and couldn't maintain a steady speed. You could hear the engine working and when he noticed that he was going faster than he wanted he would fully let off the gas and let the engine slow the truck down till he was going slower than he wanted and would step on the gas and repeat. Not floored, just on and off all the frigging time. He just never learned to make small adjustments and coast/cruise along at part throttle. My wife drives along in town at approximately the limit and the light a block away turns red. Instead of slowly reducing speed and timing the arrival to catch the green, and the car is still moving, she drives up and brakes to a stop and waits for it. Pardon to what amounts to a rant, but even with EFI you can increase your mileage by 10% just by not doing these two things. The discipline needed is beyond some people.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2024 at 2:54 PM, datzenmike said:

Short trips where the choke is on more isn't good either. My work partner used to drive sometimes (and drive me crazy) and couldn't maintain a steady speed. You could hear the engine working and when he noticed that he was going faster than he wanted he would fully let off the gas and let the engine slow the truck down till he was going slower than he wanted and would step on the gas and repeat. Not floored, just on and off all the frigging time. He just never learned to make small adjustments and coast/cruise along at part throttle. My wife drives along in town at approximately the limit and the light a block away turns red. Instead of slowly reducing speed and timing the arrival to catch the green, and the car is still moving, she drives up and brakes to a stop and waits for it. Pardon to what amounts to a rant, but even with EFI you can increase your mileage by 10% just by not doing these two things. The discipline needed is beyond some people.

I think you and I would get along greatly. I always find it funny when people will race past me up to a red light then I pass them because I catch the green at 10-15mph while they are trying to accelerate and I always like to be steady on the throttle for ride comfort and I like to think it's easier than being on/off.