engine difference

can someone tell me the difference between a z24 engine from a 1984. and a 1986-1989 nissan z24 engine. i inquired about one through one of the largest high performance shop in the world. and the guy o the other end of the phone told me there was a difference. Well is there any difference. are the motor mounting holes in a different position? i need a replaceent engine for my truck and i would like to get one asap!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are the same block and head. The 84 was a carburetor The '86-'89 was a Z24i and had throttle body fuel injection and a CAS crank angle sensor for a distributor.

If you have an '84 720 and want to put a newer '86-'89 engine in, you have everything needed. Put your '84 intake and carburetor on. Set to TDC and drop the oil pump and remove the drive spindle above it and the CAS. Put your '84 drive spindle and distributor in. Put your '84 oil pan and pick up tube on it aaaaaand... done.

The exhaust manifold should be the same just the Z24i has an O2 sensor on it. You still have your '84 manifold if needed.

The Z24 is known for blowing the head gasket at 100k intervals so the Z24i probably does too. While the engine is cold loosen ONE bolt and right away re-torque to 60 ft. lbs. Then do the next bolt. Any order. This refreshes the clamping force on the gasket. Do this every tune up or every year or so.

• 2 weeks later...

The CAS (crank angle sensor) on the Z24i is very similar to the conventional Z24 distributor. They could both be called a distributor.

The Z24i was introduced on '85 model year 720s in April. It's not clear if this is an option and the carburetor continued or not. It would appear that the '86 model began in June of '85 and ended November '85.

After close to 40 years maybe the engine was swapped.