Some more questions about these old brakes

Hello again! 

Life has kept me from moving along on this truck faster than I'd like but I'm at a new set of problems I thought I'd ask about.

Which side of the assembly here does this brake toggle go? My buddy thinks it should be on the other side, towards the rear of the truck but when I pulled it apart it was on the side in the picture, towards the front. It rubs on other parts though when it's towards the front of the truck. I'm unsure what to do with it because even the Hayne's manual looks like it's towards the front. Any clues to what's happening here is appreciated.

Snapchat-1399690895.jpg?ex=663d6ae2&is=6

I bought new springs to hold the brake pads in when I first got the truck and realized they've got this bend in them where it matters. They all look like this. I tried slowly bending the kink straight to look like the original hardware and it snapped before I even started to see it give. Is it normal to bend these into shape, just maybe with heat?

Snapchat-411072277.jpg?ex=663d6b36&is=66Snapchat-515144999.jpg?ex=663d6b36&is=66

This truck is a huge pain in my butt right now, and I wish I had some friends to brainstorm with and also give me some extra hands. I'm thinking I will replace my gas tank as well, does anyone know what I could drop in without any fitment issues? Can't seem to find a source that gives me a guaranteed fit.

Thanks for any help with these questions!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That part is what makes the park brake work.

The bottom is attached to your park brake cable and when you pull on the cable, the bracket pivots the rear brake shoe out against the drum. I don't have a proper diagram of the drum brake mechanicals but this one is at least similar. The bracket being referred to as PARKING BRAKE LEVER is what you have there.

Does anyone have a 1981 f-250 drum brake parts diagram ...

The rear brake shoe is the only one that moves outward against the drum, this is why drum parking brakes don't hold all that well. When out of adjustment or contaminated, you can get zero park brake.

I'm sure someone else here will have the right diagram for you.  BTW, the little hooks on the springs go through the holes, in effect like a knot unable to be pulled out of a hole.

• Like 1

It clips onto the back side of the rear most shoe. Pulling the E brake will bind trying to go around that kink. Fire who ever put it together like that.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Rekateer said:

I'm thinking I will replace my gas tank as well, does anyone know what I could drop in without any fitment issues?

There are different gas tanks used, varies depending on the exact year. Earlier ones are bolted up to the underside of the truck box, later ones bolted to the frame.

IF yours is bolted to the frame, then the tank for a 720 fits directly.

Again IF, then there are some options. There are 4 different 720 tanks. 2 for the regular cab & 2 for the extended cab. The extended cab ones are lowered toward the front for body clearance and therefore a slightly lower volume. The other difference is the ones for the 4x4 are slightly deeper, gaining some volume.

Smallest tank is the body-mounted 620 tank, at something like 10 gallons.

1977Datsun620KC82.thumb.jpg.acaaf3e5834a4b7c141832ace7db8b45.jpg

The largest is for the regular cab 4x4. I used the tank for the ext cab 720 4x4 on mine, looks like this

FueltankSpectraNS11B.jpg.b7a8f94678acca9f03504c779769adc1.jpg

and mounts up like this

Fuelsystem.png.8cd3c4cb9c42e1696ef5d6746f7fc6ad.png

giving me almost double the capacity.

Availability seems to be an issue, these are made in Canada and seems to be some US/Canada restriction so if you can't get one locally you might have to cross-border shop. Same company makes radiators which has been an availability issue for Datsuns south of the border.

NOW if you want to do the research, I suspect the D21 (Hardbody) trucks might use the same fuel tanks but maybe with electric pumps??

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

BTW, the little hooks on the springs go through the holes, in effect like a knot unable to be pulled out of a hole.

Ah dang I forgot how to button my shirt again!

But seriously why are they shaped so differently from the older hardware?

I'll look further into how the tank is attached to the truck and use the information you've given me me. Thanks!

Edited by Rekateer
Forgot to respond to the other responses