What color wires go to intake and exhaust coils on a 2.4L engine

I'm replacing coils on intake and exhaust coils. I'm showing a "BR" wire and "WL" wire for intake but manual doesn't show which one goes to positive and

which one goes to negative. Same for exhaust coil "BW" and "R" wire but which ones go to positive and which to negative. Please advise. Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless they have broken or failed I would leave them. Nothing wrong with a stock coil. An after market coil is likely inferior quality.

I've seen several manuals and I can't figure it out.

Get a volt meter or a test lamp. Pull the first fuse on the far left side of the fuse box, this removes power from the exhaust coil wire. Test the wires. The one with power in the intake coil wire. Plug the fuse back in and test the wires. The second wire that now has power is the exhaust coil.

With the power wires identified, the other remaining two wires go to the - or negative sides of the coils.

Coils are identical, they fire together. Doesn't rally matter if you mix up the coils.

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Unless they have broken or failed I would leave them. Nothing wrong with a stock coil. An after market coil is likely inferior quality.

I've seen several manuals and I can't figure it out.

Get a volt meter or a test lamp. Pull the first fuse on the far left side of the fuse box, this removes power from the exhaust coil wire. Test the wires. The one with power in the intake coil wire. Plug the fuse back in and test the wires. The second wire that now has power is the exhaust coil.

With the power wires identified, the other remaining two wires go to the - or negative sides of the coils.

Coils are identical, they fire together. Doesn't rally matter if you mix up the coils.

Thanks for info on how to check which wire is positive. Replacing because manual says if Ohms are not within certain range replace. Which their not. 

Truck has 275K on it. Trying to get truck running again. Had it running by replacing carb with 32/36 Weber. Ran fine on short trips but after going

60 miles temp gauge went up too almost overheating. Watch you-tube video saying if your oil light flickers you need to replace oil pump which I did.

Engine coffed,sputtered and died. Had everything correct for install. No.1 piston at TDC and pulled plug to check. So then deciced to replace Distributor.

After that same problem. Coff, sputter and die. That's when checked coils. But forgot to label wires first. Why I'm asking here. I swear I got Distributor on

correctly because I labeled those wires going into distributor. Just don't understand why it's not turning over like it should. Any sugestions would be greatly

appreciated. Thanks

In my 85.The Nissan FSM manual shows the wiring to the coils.Mine are exactly like it.They are on page EL-37 Also here is a picture of my coils.On the coil with red wire is the exhaust coil,red wire is on negative outlet.The coil with the brown wire is the intake coil.Brown wire is on positive outlet.I also posted the color codes for the coil wires.Here are the positive and negatives on your coils.Intake WL,white wire with blue stripe is -,BR  brown wire is +. On exhaust  coil R red wire is -  BW black with white stripe wire  is +.

17141624756158455841650797231594.jpg

17141624925438973231663958084520.jpg

1714162599738939840606604129814.jpg

17141638409615041036947298141214.jpg

17141638751537399800342590541676.jpg

17141639170158132280392079134213.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Thanks 1

There are two TDCs. You want the compression stroke with both valves closed. If the spindle drive for oil pump/distributor was out you might be 1800 out

Set properly to TDC compression and check that the number one cylinder valves are both closed. Them pull the distributor out and look in the hole. If correct you should see this...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

Note that there is a large and small half moon. Small to the front.

Coils don't wear out. If 0.75 to just over 1.0 ohms primary and 8-12 ohms on the secondary it's good enough. If it was running obviously it works.

The Z24 is known for blowing the head gasket at 100K mile intervals, maybe over due. Add to that over heating!!! Over heating must be avoided at all costs.

Flickering oil light might be the sender. I always replace my oil pumps with one from a later KA24E engine. They have a higher output volume .

• Thanks 1

Thanks Thomas I have the exact same manual. Bought it when got the truck. I was looking at the same page you showed where it gives the color codes

on coils. With the BR and Wl on intake and BW and R on exhaust. Just didn't show positive and negative on drawing. Guess the BR would be positive side

the way it shows a curly Q on that side and straight line on negative side of drawing. Thanks for the pics where the wires go. Have to say your manual looks

a little more worn than mine. 

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There are two TDCs. You want the compression stroke with both valves closed. If the spindle drive for oil pump/distributor was out you might be 1800 out

Set properly to TDC compression and check that the number one cylinder valves are both closed. Them pull the distributor out and look in the hole. If correct you should see this...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

Coils don't wear out. If 0.75 to just over 1.0 ohms primary and 8-12 ohms on the secondary it's good enough. If it was running obviously it works.

The Z24 is known for blowing the head gasket at 100K mile intervals, maybe over due. Add to that over heating!!! Over heating must be avoided at all costs.

Flickering oil light might be the sender. I always replace my oil pumps with one from a later KA24E engine. They have a higher output volume .

Well Datzen Mike "YOUR GODDAMN RIGHT" I'm 180 degrees out from your picture. Thanks for the heads up. But how do you check that both valves are closed?

Take the valve cover off the cam lobes will be at a downward angle. The first one the exhaust at about 8 o'clock and the intake at about 4 as viewed from the front. You should be able to wiggle the rocker as the valves are closed and there is clearance. If this was a four plug distributor I would just move (rotate) the wires two positions to right or left but with 8 and all marked on the cap, better to set TDC, drop the oil pump the drive spindle and reset like the picture I posted.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, JohnnyRigger said:

Thanks Thomas I have the exact same manual. Bought it when got the truck. I was looking at the same page you showed where it gives the color codes

on coils. With the BR and Wl on intake and BW and R on exhaust. Just didn't show positive and negative on drawing. Guess the BR would be positive side

the way it shows a curly Q on that side and straight line on negative side of drawing. Thanks for the pics where the wires go. Have to say your manual looks

a little more worn than mine. It Doesn't show anywhere in the manual about positive or negative on the coils.This is what mine were on when I bought it.It probably doesn't matter cause It doesn't show anywhere and if you look at the picture and it shows the inside of coils which to me means,it doesn't matter.I have been using  Auto Zone coils,lifetime warranty,you can take them back anytime,they don't test them like a starter or alternator.Just the out side front of my manual is worn.

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Take the valve cover off the cam lobes will be at a downward angle. The first one the exhaust at about 8 o'clock and the intake at about 4 as viewed from the front. You should be able to wiggle the rocker as the valves are closed and there is clearance. If this was a four plug distributor I would just move (rotate) the wires two positions to right or left but with 8 and all marked on the cap, better to set TDC, drop the oil pump the drive spindle and reset like the picture I posted.

Thanks datzenmike! 

On 4/26/2024 at 3:29 PM, datzenmike said:

8Gj0vYy.jpg

Well I took valve cover off found TDC but when I inserted oil pump into engine I kept Getting tang to be at 12:00 o'clock position instead of

11:25 as shown in your picture. Now when I turn engine over I'm not getting sparks to plugs. Cranks but does not fire. Would being off that

little bit cause sparks not to fire. I couldn't get the 11:25 position because when you line up the oil hole to small pin hole on side of shaft it needs

to be in a straight line and when I put pump into engine it kept hitting the 12:00 o'clock spot. Would that keep the engine from not firing? The distributor

is brand new along with spark plug wires, coils, plugs. Any ideas whats happening?

Well the lining up of the holes is for the similar L series engines and maybe that changed for the Z series. Do what ever it takes to get the spindle in the position shown in the picture. Might help to have someone watching from above to let you know which way to turn it.

Checking the cam lobe position is just to confirm that you are on the compression stroke. Accurate TDC must be set using the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley and the timing scale near it on the timing cover.

WQdyxvc.jpg

The coil will be firing but the rotor is between wires on the cap or firing the wrong plugs.

Years ago I pulled a KA high volume oil pump from a wrecking yard and was so hot to install it I did it in the parking lot. Forgot to set TDC which isn't a problem if the spindle doesn't fall out. It fell out. Had to go through everything you are. Had to pull the distributor to see where the spindle was, check the cam lobes, put it in almost a dozen times, kept turning it the wrong way. Eventually it lined up, varoom!