85 Nissan 720 4x4 Starting issue.

Hi Ya,ll.Happy Friday night.Just want to let ya'll know the stuff you put on your battery terminals does not work.For me at least.I got the jelly that comes in the little packs at the Auto part store.I put it on the battery post.Then put the terminals on and sprayed it with that stuff that comes in that little spray can from Walmart.It came with the post rings that the terminals sit on.I did my wife's car first cause she had a lot of corrosion on the negative side,like mine.Her's is doing okay.Tomorrow I will check hers out.But any way.My voltage meter dropped a little,and I was having problems with it starting.Having to turn the key a bunch then It would not start.I took the negative cable off,and corrosion was on there with the jell.I wipe the post and inside of terminal and it fired up and voltage went to where it was suppose to be.I won't put that jell on again.Maybe just the spray.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always had good luck with just using the little red/green felt rings you put on the posts under the clamp. I've never tried to lube.

Posted (edited)

I only did this cause I put some on my wife's car.Her corrosion was real bad,had electrical issues with her's.Her's seems to be okay.But I will  check her's tomorrow,Only get corrosion on the negative on both vehicles.The 2 terminals  on the starter is like new,clean.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Ok I will try that.The spray is oil based.The corrosion was on the jell on the bottom of the post on the inside of the clamp.The jell is blue,the corrosion is light blue, it stuck out.Never had corrosion on the positive post.I am fixing to go out there.

Kinda random, but my dad has been using NO-OX-ID for a while at the recommendation of some of his PG&E coworkers.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

It's too bad you're not local. I'd totally loan you some since he's got a huge tube of it. The only thing I can say for sure is that it has kept the battery terminals on my 1994 Pathfinder in pretty good condition over the years.

Posted (edited)

Yeah,my wife's car also had corrosion on the negative cable with the jell.Got it off and used the spray.From what I read online,it says that if your getting corrosion on your negative side means your alternator is under charging and over charging if the positive side is getting corrosion.I will just have to check them so often.Both are under the terminals where you can't see it unless you remove them and turn it over.That corrosion effected both vehicles.So if you having electrical issues,first check under your terminals.

Edited by Thomas Perkins