Searching for a 4.375 Diff / 3rd Member 620

Hey Guys,

as i have no luck finding a Compatible 620 Diff with a 4.375 Ratio here in Europe, i hope you guys could Help me finding one and are willing to Ship it to Germany.

Anyone got something for Sale and can Ship?

Thanks

Markus

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Thanks , found These too. Was hoping to get one for under 500$ including shipment 😅. Dont know If Its Just me but in think These prices got a Bit Out of Hand. Im still looking on These greek Car Part Sites, These Go for around 100-200€ . I think that ist reasonable for a used old Pickup Diff that you would Not need If you wouldnt wanna do what im trying to do 😂✌️

58 minutes ago, DarkBlack said:

Thanks , found These too. Was hoping to get one for under 500$ including shipment 😅. Dont know If Its Just me but in think These prices got a Bit Out of Hand. Im still looking on These greek Car Part Sites, These Go for around 100-200€ . I think that ist reasonable for a used old Pickup Diff that you would Not need If you wouldnt wanna do what im trying to do 😂✌️

I believe i have a 4.88 gear set you could have for the cost of shipping ....

Or start a want ad here .... I know there are a few who ditched their 4.37 for 4.11 or 3.9... I think that's the next one ....

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer, appriciated. But i got a 4.625 , want to keep the Autobahn Revs a little lower. Maybe a 4.11 would be nice too, i dont know How much the differences in Revs are with the different diffs🤔

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

Also you should calculate the shipping from the states... to make sure that's not gonna be crazy...

Yes, do you know How much the diff weighs? Most popular Shipper is USPS , right? Or DHL?

7 minutes ago, DarkBlack said:

Yes, do you know How much the diff weighs? Most popular Shipper is USPS , right? Or DHL?

I can find out how much it weights when I get home....

And yes usps, ups, DHL or fedex.... 

I'm not sure what's best for international shipping....

I tried to send a $20 part to Australia that I can ship for $5.... they wanted something crazy like $40 for shipping....

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DarkBlack said:

Thanks for the offer, appriciated. But i got a 4.625 , want to keep the Autobahn Revs a little lower. Maybe a 4.11 would be nice too, i dont know How much the differences in Revs are with the different diffs🤔

Datzenmike could probably tell you....

Are you running a 4 or 5 spd tranmission....

I had good luck adding a 5spd to lower my rpms.... at 70 I'm usually around 3200...

I have the 4.37 gears... 

15 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Datzenmike could probably tell you....

Are you running a 4 or 5 spd tranmission....

I had good luck adding a 5spd to lower my rpms.... at 70 I'm usually around 3200...

I have the 4.37 gears... 

I guess the shipping cost would be around 60-80$ , which would be fine, If the diff wont cost 200+ $ Like the eBay ones . I got a 4 Speed with a J15 equipped with a Weber DGB .. so around 80-85 HP Max... Dont know If the 4.11 diff would be a good choice 🤔

1 minute ago, DarkBlack said:

I guess the shipping cost would be around 60-80$ , which would be fine, If the diff wont cost 200+ $ Like the eBay ones . I got a 4 Speed with a J15 equipped with a Weber DGB .. so around 80-85 HP Max... Dont know If the 4.11 diff would be a good choice 🤔

Ah J series no idea if they have a 5 spd for those.... 

Not sure what would be better...

4.37 or 4.11.... 

I know tire size can have an effect too...

Just saying....

• Like 1

L16 were about 70 hp on a good day, I doubt the J15 would be more than that.

There is a reason that it had a 4.625 differential same as out J13s that were in the earlier 520/521 trucks. They had 4.875. The reason is they didn't make a lot of power so on the highway they need to rev up to make enough to push through the wind and climb hills. Wind resistance is the biggest resistance to going fast. Resistance increases the square of the speed, so if it takes 20 hp to go 40MPH it will take 80hp to double the speed to 80MPH. If it came with 4.625 then I wouldn't go below 4.375 if just used for commuting. If a work truck keep the 4.625 gears.

Assuming 26" tire diameter and 4th gear...

4.625 (you'll have to convert my calculator only works in MPH)

50MPH............ 2,988

60.................... 3,586

70.................... 4,183

80.................... 4,781

90.................... 5,379

50MPH............ 2,826

60.................... 3,392

70.................... 3,957

80.................... 4,523

90.................... 5,088

A 4.375 differential will likely lower your top speed slightly.

Your transmission is likely an F4W63 so the plastic speedometer pinion gear is likely a  Black (code) 17 tooth. Going down to a 4.375 is a 5.7% change increase in actual vehicle speed so the speedometer needs to slow down by almost 6%. Find a Yellow pinion gear 17/16 = 6.2% (close enough) and this will keep your speedometer and odometer accurate. If you remove rthe pinion and it's some other color let me know and I can suggest the correct one. 6% is at 100MPH or KPH it's half that at 50MPH or 50KPH. If you can live with 6Km above at 100KPH then leave it.

I think there were J series 5 speeds used elsewhere in the world.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

L16 were about 70 hp on a good day, I doubt the J15 would be more than that.

There is a reason that it had a 4.625 differential same as out J13s that were in the earlier 520/521 trucks. They had 4.875. The reason is they didn't make a lot of power so on the highway they need to rev up to make enough to push through the wind and climb hills. Wind resistance is the biggest resistance to going fast. Resistance increases the square of the speed, so if it takes 20 hp to go 40MPH it will take 80hp to double the speed to 80MPH. If it came with 4.625 then I wouldn't go below 4.375 if just used for commuting. If a work truck keep the 4.625 gears.

Assuming 26" tire diameter and 4th gear...

4.625 (you'll have to convert my calculator only works in MPH)

50MPH............ 2,988

60.................... 3,586

70.................... 4,183

80.................... 4,781

90.................... 5,379

50MPH............ 2,826

60.................... 3,392

70.................... 3,957

80.................... 4,523

90.................... 5,088

A 4.375 differential will likely lower your top speed slightly.

Your transmission is likely an F4W63 so the plastic speedometer pinion gear is likely a  Black (code) 17 tooth. Going down to a 4.375 is a 5.7% change increase in actual vehicle speed so the speedometer needs to slow down by almost 6%. Find a Yellow pinion gear 17/16 = 6.2% (close enough) and this will keep your speedometer and odometer accurate. If you remove rthe pinion and it's some other color let me know and I can suggest the correct one. 6% is at 100MPH or KPH it's half that at 50MPH or 50KPH. If you can live with 6Km above at 100KPH then leave it.

I think there were J series 5 speeds used elsewhere in the world.

Mike, thank you very much, this is really Helpful! 

So my Enginebay ID Plate Says 77PS (76HP) , but i assume They Spread a Bit ?

I got 15" wheels with 195/55 Tires mounted, my Speedo Says 70 km/h when GPS is Telling me 80 km/h. If i get you right, my Speedo will be more accurate after I go for a 4.375 or is it the other way around ?

When your RPM/MPH Calculator is correct, It would be Just a ~200 RPM Drop at 60MPH 🤔, i wonder If this makes sense after all to Change for that Bit of RPM Drop ..

I don't know about a 5 Speed Trans and ive searched for IT a Long Time now... Dont think These exist.

Other than the diff, im thinking about a Complete Engine Swap to a CA18DE .. as They are available in a FWD Nissan Sunny GTI over Here.. Not easy to find but as far as i ready, pretty easy the Put in a FWD Car since they got Single Coilpacks and the RWD Trans will Bolt right Up ( unlike the SR20 FWD)  . 

195/55R15s are 23.4" diameter and the 620 had 26"? wheels so you'll be going slower but reading higher Do you have the 70 and 80 reversed?

I think in the '70s '80s the J15/J16 and J18s were used outside of North America. J15s were used in Mexico.. I just don't have much info on this. I seem to remember there being a 5 speed, but?????

We had the CA18ET and the CA20E in our S12 200sx in the mid '80s. Have never heard of a CA18DE, interesting.

Posted (edited)

No, when im Going Speedo 70 kph i will do 80 Gps.. so my Speedo is reading less than i really doing.

CA18DE´s came in Nissan Sunny (Serena) B12 GTI versions in FWD here in Germany. 

JAPAN CA18DE came in Nissan Silvia (PS13) NA Cars and this Engine including Gearbox is offered in Greece ATM. Im Trying to get it over here to Germany.

Else i will be taking a look, if someday a B12 GTI FWD CA18DE will be up for sale and couple it with a CA18DET Gearbox (Which was sold here Also in the 200SX/S13) .

I cant go too Crazy with engine Swaps here in German due to TÜV Regulations.. Cost a lot and need to be documented to get this Legal.

There Are Also CA16DE´s in Greece a lot, they all should be the Same Base block, so i could convert them to RWD pretty Easily.

Edited by DarkBlack
7 hours ago, DarkBlack said:

So my Enginebay ID Plate Says 77PS (76HP) , but i assume They Spread a Bit ?

It's the fly wheel rating.... 

My engine tags states 90hp for the L16.. it looses about 15 hp when Checked at the wheels... 

16 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

It's the fly wheel rating.... 

My engine tags states 90hp for the L16.. it looses about 15 hp when Checked at the wheels... 

Yeah, i know  🙂 . It all leads to swapping the Engine.... and thats probably what i will have to do  😄 

Thanks your helpful Input @Crashtd420 & @datzenmike

• Like 1

My '76 L20B says 110 hp but my '78 truck says 93 with same engine. There's gross hp (at the crankshaft) and there's net (at the rear wheel) This removes all drive line losses and is more representative. I apply a 17% loss to gross numbers

• Like 1