Nissan 720 temp sensor

Hey guys I am running into a problem that my temperature gauge on the cluster isn't going up or gown it's basically dead but when I connect the wire of the temp sensor to positive it goes up. I recall that temperature sensors work with negative not positive. Could it be that the sensor is bad? Or am I wrong can someone lecture me to reach to the bottom of this. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How they are supposed to work...

There is a voltage regulator in the gauge that provides a stable 8? volts. Tis avoids the readings changing when the engine is off and the battery at 12.6v or charging at 14.2v.

Power flows through the gauge and out to the sender which has a higher resistance between it and ground when cold than when warm.

So, ground the sender wire out at the sender, basically there is now zero resistance and maximum power flows through the gauge moving the needle to full HOT. If the gauge goes up to HOT then the gauge is working. It's presumed that the sender is bad.

• Like 1