Issues with my 1992 WD21 Pathfinder/Terrano

Hi everybody, 

Long time reader, first time poster. I come to you looking for wisdom.

I'm currently the lucky owner of a 3 door 1992 WD21 Pathfinder/Terrano here in Chile. 

That means: ultra basic (crank windows, close to no emission controls) and a very simple carburated, manual choke, just 4 spark plugs Z24 engine. Still, finding parts and information for such a weird spec can be difficult, so one does with what one finds. 

The truck was reliable for close to a year with no issues. A few weeks back I took the truck for a general tune up, and since the, some issues have popped up.

Currently, the truck has been acting on me. Ignition seems to be the issue: stalling, rough time starting up, jerky throttle, etc. I've put fresh correct Denso spark plugs, fresh wires, coil, condenser and points. The first time it happened, I replaced the condenser and it solved the issue for a while. But, the same symptoms are back again. 

I know this might be a repetitive question, but the weird spec of my truck makes it hard to find info.

I've seen that the supposedly correct condenser would be PN 22102-01B01, but I still have my doubts. Currently using a 1 wire condsenser. Any advice will be welcome. 

QKPnim.jpgG0pDQu.jpg

ezUHsl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always look at the last thing done as a possible cause of running problems. For example a bad part may have been put in or a vacuum line pulled off.I assume this engine has points distributor? Were they changed? What was done to the engine when serviced? Was the timing set and what was it set to???

Run without the condenser or disconnected. If it runs the same it's not the condenser. It's job is to prolong the life of the points.

Next change use NGK plugs. This is what came in the Z24 engine.

Hey datzenmike, my bad. I meant to say NGK, not Denso. It was actually an advice from you that I ran into  that made me choose them.

I´ll follow your tip on pulling the condenser off, and then see what happens.