New to RATSUN and have questions

I've been reading posts here for awhile and decided to join today. Lots of good content and not a lot of bitchin at each other so I'm in.

My name is Trace Essex and I'm in central Arkansas, I bought my 1st Datsun in 1978. It was a 1976 620 pickup and had for about 5 years

and loved the mini truck scene. Now some years later I have retired and have time to finish some unfinished projects and one of them is

1994 Nissan D21 single cab pickup. I did a simple 4" static drop and now I'm converting from fuel injection to dual Webber 40's and have 

a few questions. (let me know if I'm posting questions in the wrong place)

1) Can I use an L20B distributor in a KA24E 2.4

2) Can I use any L series oil pump drive  or does it have to be for a 4cyl only

Sorry if these are simple question but I've been in the Cummins diesel world for about 15 years and these KA24E motors are all new to me.

Thanks for any help and looking forward to lots of Datsun/ Nissan discussions.

Trace @ Rusty Nuts Garage

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RustyNutsGarage said:

a few questions. (let me know if I'm posting questions in the wrong place)

1) Can I use an L20B distributor in a KA24E 2.4 Yes, any '79 or '80 EI matchbox or earlier points ones but you would need the points coil and ballast with it. Be sure to get the base plate or pedestal with it. You will need to drill and tap one bolt hole. Mount with the one bolt and you can use the pedestal to mark the other hole.

2) Can I use any L series oil pump drive  or does it have to be for a 4cyl only

Sorry if these are simple question but I've been in the Cummins diesel world for about 15 years and these KA24E motors are all new to me. The drive spindle. Any L series four cylinder as well as the six cylinder L24/L26/L28 in the Z and ZX car and the 810/Maxima. 

Thanks for any help and looking forward to lots of Datsun/ Nissan discussions.

Trace @ Rusty Nuts Garage

Bitching? Try Destruction of America in General Discussion.

• Like 1

The differences in the L engines is mostly height and that is all at the tops of the cylinders. The timing covers are all the same except taller at the tops to match the deck height. Distributors are all the same distance from the crankshaft. An L20B distributor will fit the Z series but you may have to use the L20B spindle and they definitely fit the KA. The Z24 distributor reaches deeper into the timing cover to a shorter? spindle.

I wish I had kept track of what these were out of.

exnMrfw.jpg

• Like 1