81 720 Brake Bracket Scraping Rotor

BAEF3230-7780-4-D11-89-AE-D25012-BFA4-CB

50-BA72-E4-B025-4-C68-92-C6-A03-FC5-EFBD

Hey guys, my father's Datsun started making a scraping noise, so we changed the brake hose, rotors, and pads. Occasionally, we would hear scraping when braking that would appear and then go away. We just figured it was the caliper, and now I'm noticing that the old caliper bracket was scraping with the rotor, and now I'm having the same issue with this new pair. Does anyone know what's causing the bracket to scrap? For reference, the old one would do it occasionally, and now, when I drive, it scrapes all the time no matter what. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see video. Need to have an account and sign in.

Both? or just one side rubbing?

Where on the rotor is it rubbing?

Were the old pads worn more on one side than the other?

Hello Mike the passenger side is the one rubbing before and after the caliper change. It’s rubbing on the outer outside lip and yes the passenger right side pad was a little uneven. When we were in there we changed the wheels bearing. On the old image you could see where the rotor was scraping with the caliper bracket.

1564-C9-EF-203-A-482-E-A03-B-2-ED23-B3-F

9-CDEEC1-D-4-D3-B-4332-8771-92-F695-E186

With the wheel off, have someone depress the brake pedal firmly while you watch for any movement. The thing the caliper is inside is called the yoke. The yoke is free to move laterally as the pads wear down. It shouldn't flex nor should the rotor bend towards or away from the caliper.

The caliper has two pistons and pushes on the closest pad directly. The other piston pushes away from the first piston and bears on the yoke which transfers movement to the other pad on the other side of the rotor.   

On 3/25/2024 at 7:59 PM, Damnsun 720 said:

Hey guys, my father's Datsun started making a scraping noise, so we changed the brake hose, rotors, and pads.

If the yoke is solid then the hub must be wobbly.

Yup, I asked if one side was worn more than the other. Was thinking a piston was seized. My B210 did this. Step on the brake and the rotor would bend to the other side. Not a lot but it definitely moved.

• Like 1

Sorry the lack of updates y’all. The new caliper pins that came with it were actually skinner allowing the bracket to have some play and move around. We got some new pins that are a bit fatter and now the scraping has stopped.