Auto to 5speed swap.

My 86 720 came with an automatic that is junk now. My dad and I are swapping it to the 5speed stick. Is there anything we should know or be prepared for? We have the auto trans out and the pilot bushing installed so far. I'm just worried that there is something we will miss that might be a well known problem when swapping.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

e2YBmCh.jpg

Well if you have the pilot bushing in, then probably this part, is off the end of the crankshaft. The flywheel won't fit with it on.

The manual flywheel uses different attachment bolt lengths. Automatic are likely shorter but will probably work.

There are two 'dowels' on the block (lower left and upper right as seen from the transmission side) to align the transmission into place. Check they are still in place and didn't come out and stay on the automatic.

The engine plate between the block and the transmission from the automatic will work just as well on the manual, it may be one or two piece.

There are manual and automatic starters, but I have never found out what the difference is and have used both.

• Like 1

They show different part numbers for the starter, but when I swapped out the automatic for a 5-speed in my ‘85 years ago, I used the automatic starter with no problem. That little piece that Mike has pictured was my biggest problem, I didn’t realize it was there and I thought I got the wrong flywheel. You will need the clutch AND brake pedals from a 5-speed truck. The automatic brake pedal is too wide. If you’re getting the 5-speed out of a parts truck, grab those along with the clutch master cylinder hard line that goes to the slave cylinder. You also need the front half of the driveshaft from a 5-speed truck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help! I've got a couple more questions. There doesn't seem to be a breather on the transmission. There is a plastic piece that fits down in it but nothing else. I've looked online and can't seem to find any breathers online.

I'm also having trouble with finding a replacement break pedal return spring. Mine broke and I can't seem to find replacements.

The plastic breather is 38322-78000 and was used from mid '60 till '90 on several Nissan Transmissions.

Take the broken spring to a machine shop they'll have something or know who does. It's not critical, just pulls the pedal up out of the way when not in use. You can probably make one. The part number is 46585-03W10. Try a want ad in out classifieds... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

• Thanks 1