510 from Mexico with a j15/1500 - engine maintenance / parts

510 from Mexico with a j15/1500 - engine maintenance/ parts

I'm in the U.S and rebuilding a 1972 Datsun 510 sedan, Originally from Mexico. The motor is stamped with 1500, I believe that's a j15. Im looking to do the basic maintenance (plugs, wires, distributer, etc.) as well as future parts. Website? 

- Did any vehicle in the U.S. have the 1500 motor?

- Can I use the tune up kits from the fork lifts? 

I searched but I had a hard time finding results. Thank you! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The J13 in the '65-'68 520 and the first year L521 '69 should have the same distributor.

Here are the Nissan part numbers for a '69 L521 with J13 engine. You can use them to have an auto parts store cross reference to another maker....

22162-25700..... cap

22157-H1000..... rotor

22145-18005..... points

22451-17001...... wires

Some parts even deeper in to the J series, can be cross referenced to the British MGB 1800cc engine, as Datsun "licensed" the engineering from the Brits!  I think a great example, is that the MGB Weber 32/36 carb & intake kit BOLTS ON, with the likelihood of altering the jetting a necessity, as your engine is smaller at 1500cc.  The aftermarket tubular "shorty" header for the MGB, can also be used!  

Is there an ignition wiring for dummies for this j15 motor? 

I'm just not getting spark. New battery. Sanded grounds, tried hotwiring no spark, tried bypassing the alternator no spark. New distributor, ignition control module, wires, spark plugs. 

Don't throw parts at a problem, it's expensive, wastes time, and there is the risk of putting a bad part on, an inferior part on, or messing up the wiring. Save the old parts because you just proved that they are not the cause.

No spark? Where?? at the plug or at the coil?? If at the plugs go to the coil wire and put a plug in the end, ground it and test for spark. Got spark???

Assume no...

Get a test lamp (cheaper than a meter) but a meter is fine too. Check the positive terminal of the coil when the ignition is on... Should show 12v or that there is power. Got power????