Light switch help

Hey there, I’ve got a 79 620 and my park/tail fuse link gets really hot when I turn on lights. While inspecting the area I noticed that a black wire coming from the light switch wasn’t connected to anything. Could that be the culprit for hot fuse link? Also, where does that wire usually connect to?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heat is from resistance between the fuse clips that hold the fuse and the fuse. This could be from the heat taking the temper or springiness out of the clips so they don't grip the fuse properly or corrosion making poor contact. Just like a toaster the resistance generates heat.

Clean the fuse box and replace the fuse. The fuse box disconnects easily enough and can be unscrewed from the dash. Wash thoroughly to remove any oils and dirt then submerge in a solution of pure lemon juice and salt mixture over night. Rinse the next day, dry and install.

This will clean the brass contacts but I warn you that heat may have softened the clips so they don't grip the fuse. Worth a try. My '78 was so bad the headlights would go out driving. I would reach down and push on the fuse to get them on. Last time I burned my finger, nothing I could do so I had to replace it.

After soaking in lemon juice and salt...

6XXHZRx.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you! I’m going to do that as soon as I get home. Worked overnight and that was all I could think about. Don’t want my baby combusting on me. Fuse clip seems to still hold pretty good (need a puller to yank fuse off). I got all new fuses yesterday in hopes to get rid of the problem. Also burned my fingers trying to sort it out. 

And I was also wondering where the home for the black wire that comes from the switch is. 🧐

Black Wire:

Just a guess here but the wiper and the headlight switch are illuminated so it's easier to find in the dark. To simplify, a single lamp in a canister is used with a black fiber-optic cable to direct light to the two switches. If the cable has not been shortened move it around till you find the lamp container. It's round, about 2" long, has two wires with male and female bullet connectors (for the lamp inside) and located very near the dash light dimmer switch. There are two holes in the end for the fiber-optic cables. Probably a good idea to have this working.

• Like 1

2 possibilities. 1 is the fibre optic cable as Mike described. This is the fibre optic line and the bulb canister.

IMG_2020.thumb.jpg.c102b95c5c39b4aa0cef8494a6b67c36.jpg

second possibility is a ground wire that has separated. Grounds are black. You might find the remnants within reach of the existing wire.

• Like 1