Positive camber issues

I recently replaced all the tie rods and the ball joints on my 1974 datsun 610 wagon and went to get it aligned, although ever since then it's had positive camber. It has all the stock suspension and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this. I know you can't adjust camber with the stock suspension, but would replacing the shocks (they are pretty worn) or any other suspension components possibly fix the issue? I don't want to upgrade just yet I just want it to drive how it used to. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing the tie rods and ball joints should not affect the camber so it must have been there before. There is usually some camber, maybe 1 to 2 degrees but not enough to see. So when sitting on level ground, you can see the tire tipping outward at the top??? on both sides?

The 710 top hats had the three bolt holes off set so by rotating them you could gain or remove a small amount of camber. Lots of 510 guys used to grab these off of 710s that were in wrecking yards

Below (710) you can see that the center of the strut is not in the center of the strut tower.

EmLpEvV.jpg

You will have to get some adjustable after market camber plates.

Shortening the strut length as in lowering the ride height will introduce negative camber.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah the camber was not there at all before the alignment, and now its really bad. you can see the tread of the tires wearing out unevenly on the outer sides of the tire when before the tires wore pretty evenly 

As Mike noted, neither ball jt or tie rod replacement should cause increased camber.  Are you sure the tire wear is from camber?  Too much toe-in will cause tread feathering that will look similar to camber wear.  Camber wear usually takes longer to be noticeable than toe wear.

Camber has to be pretty extreme to cause wear, well, compared to toe. Camber only puts more weight on one side of the tire. Toe is like the tire is trying to turn the car but it can't because the other side is fighting it, doing the same in the opposite direction.