1990 Nissan D21 4X4 tow hooks

A question obscuria that even is stumping my Googlefu. The tow hooks mounting points on the front of a 1990 D21 4X4, how far are they apart? (For mounting of a tow bar for flat tow)

Thank you

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would take a good place to find this information. I am guessing the tow hooks would need to attach to the frame rails. Is the distance between the frame rails (outside to outside) listed in some manual? I have a downloaded 84 factory manual, but it is either missing or did not contain frame dimensions. Is it worth attempting to locate the 90 factory manual? 

15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

From outside rail to outside rail across the front 28.31" It's going to be very close to this amount.

My tow bar is the Y type, at the top of the both ends of the Y it looks like the attached pic. I would call the end in the picture an H. Dead center H, across the top of the Y to dead center H is 31 3/8-31 1/2. I think there might be a second piece that normally goes with the Y that attaches to the towed vehicle, but this is all there was, when I bought it a decade ago. Can you think of a way to Redneck it to attach to the front of a 90 Hardbody? Getting a welder to the field where the truck sits would be difficult and power is unknown. I will need to tow it 40 miles, if it works out. The road has some hills but is old hwy. I will be scraping the truck after removing parts, pretty isn't necessary.

towbar.jpg

16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

From outside rail to outside rail across the front 28.31" It's going to be very close to this amount.

Ok, I found some tow bar brackets that look like they will work at Home Depot, but I am still a bit lost on the best place to mount them. They have bolt holes, should I look into angle iron to attach to the tow hook mounts and bolt the tow brackets to the angle iron?