Distributor magnet replacement (z24)

Foxhound

About a month ago I decided to take apart my distributor and clean/inspect/familiarize myself with the internals. While I was in there I put some new thermal paste under the ICM. When it came time to put it all back together I managed to crack the magnet in half somehow while I was tightening one of the two screws holding it in. Classic, right. It was a clean break so I just pushed it back together and tightened the screws back down anyway and it didn't seem to effect how the truck ran (not great to begin with because of the old carb and vacuum leaks).

Now, I just put a new weber on it and I want to make sure this little magnet isn't going to cause any tuning issues. I'd love to just buy a new magnet, but you know how that would be trying to source something so...unique. The truck runs and sounds much better, though I'm pretty sure I need to change the idle jet to a higher size as it runs best with the mixture screw 3 turns out. Does anyone have or know where I could get a magnet for this dizzy aside from buying a new dizzy. Are there other car models I can source one from at a picknpull? What exactly is it for? It's a difficult thing to find info on. I'm so close to getting her running amazing, I can feel it. I just want to eliminate as many x factors as I can before I really fine tune things.

I've already bought new coils/wires/plugs. Everything is firing perfect on both sides. No vaccum leaks. Valves adjusted. Although now that I think about it the vacuum advance on the dizzy had a very very slight leak but it still advances the timing just fine, but that would technically be letting extra air into the ported vaccuum? Hmmm, maybe I should just bite the bullet on replacing the stock dizzy..Or is that some extra air flow I could utilize that these 32/36s are supposedly lacking...hah

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22158-W0560 is the part number. Any 8 plug Z series engine will have it. You can check any wrecking yards for any 720 with Z20/Z22 or Z24 engine,

'80-'83 S110 200sx Z20, Z22,

'84-'88 S12 200sx CA20 engine,

'81 A10 HL510 Z20

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. For the sake of correct info the part number I'm actually looking for is 22158-w0560 (Magnet Assy) and I was able to find a Japanese website that has one for pretty cheap, about 20$ after shipping. This website seems great if you're trying to find a random little part like this: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/22158w0560

I've been checking the inventories of junkyards around here for a while and they never get any 720s or 200sx etc. I'd love to pick one apart. I'm going to attempt to repair my tach soon and make a thread for that if I accomplish it. It seems to have shorted across the small winding that floats around a magnet that moves the needle. It's obviously been toasted. I'm going to order some awg 40 enameled wire (I measured it) and try to re-wind it, then solder it back in. Hopefully nothing else has failed on the board.

I'm still scratching my head as to why it would have shorted across the winding to begin with and hope it doesn't again. It was like this from a previous owner. It's missing the coil condenser/capacitor as well and I'm wondering if that might have had to do with it, though from what I've gathered it's just for radio signal suppression. I might just buy a couple capacitors for peace of mind.

• Like 1