What motor do I have?

Hello, glad to be here. So, I have had this truck for over 20 years and it is time to rebuild the motor. Its been a ranch truck . Never did anything to it other than spark plugs 1 time and made a new gasket for the glass plate carb when it started leaking. yep never changed the oil or filter. or anything. Don't Judge me it was an experiment. It still rips, but is starting to smokes a little. It is now time to rebuildt and give it some love. I feel it deserves it.I know it is a not the original motor that  was in it. there is a bunch of "smog stuff pinched all over the manifold and block. so here is what i know the block says on passanger side 7111B   N56 the head says A87  it has a Hitachi Carb. What is it. The valve cover ribbed says Nissan OHV and the oil filler cap has "S" on it.  For those who want to know about the truck the door plate says 10/69  and the plate in engine compartment had engine # of 355302  and a car #218945. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11/69 production makes it a 1970 model year replacing the previous J13 engine with the L16 or 1.6 liter engine. If it hasn't beed swapped.

Look on the boss just below the head on the top of the block just behind the oil dip stick. The engine displacement is stamped there. The A87 head was primarily used on the L18 but it will fit all years of the later L20B too.

fb9yF51.jpg

10 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

11/69 production makes it a 1970 model year replacing the previous J13 engine with the L16 or 1.6 liter engine. If it hasn't beed swapped.

Look on the boss just below the head on the top of the block just behind the oil dip stick. The engine displacement is stamped there. The A87 head was primarily used on the L18 but it will fit all years of the later L20B too.

fb9yF51.jpg

So you think it is L18 that is what I was leaning. Tt has been swapped. You say just behind dipstick?

The L series are the same for rebuilding, all L18s are the same. Oil pans will be different for different applications and carburetors similar but different in their emissions requirements. Car alternators are larger than truck alternators but this is all bolt on stuff.