Nissan 720 front shocks

seannn

Hey guys, I am back at trying to fix the old 720. So I got the lights working with the manual so I decided to work on the front suspension. It doesn't even have shocks at front lol so I decided to ask my dad about it and he told me that the arm would always tear the shock in half so he just decided to run it without front shocks. Any idea why? The t bar isn't to tensioned. I noticed this afternoon that it didn't have bump stops it was just the little steel plate that once had the bump stop and I went to the local car parts and they say they didn't have any for this particular car. Does anyone have an picture of how it is too so I could find one similar and adapt it to the car. Could the bumps stops be the problem why it tears the shocks? Thanks 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put what vehicle and year you have in your profile, saves guessing or asking. 2wd? 4x4?

Try putting the correct shock absorber on. It should have room to move and not touch anything.

Post a picture of what you have, maybe something isn't right

As for the bump stop just cut a piece of rubber tire and glue it on.

• Like 1

The upper arm always tore them my dad has tried using original size, longer shocks and even thinner shocks and it had the same outcome. It edge like part from the arm always Hit the shocks and in a day or 2 you would hear alot of noise due to the shocks torn in half. I had already added it to my profile but I'll repeat it, it's an Nissan datsun 720 4x4 from the year 1984. That's why I assumed that with the absence of the bump stops were the problem but thanks for the tire tip I have extra tires that are rlly bald and don't hold air so I have use for them now lol 

Edited by seannn
I forgot to add a part
  • Like 1

Bump stops usually are used to limit compression of the suspension, aren't they? Is so not having shocks would definitely cause the suspension to bottom out probably damaging and removing them. I'd say the lack of shocks caused the lack of bump stops.

A picture of this set up... because normally there is more than enough room for the suspension to articulate and NOT hit the shocks.

• Like 2