KA24 head on L20B

FoxyRoadster

I've been looking all over google on info for this, I've found quite a bit but the only site that seemed to have all the information (was listed on the ozdat site) is down or something. I've read through all the threads on their forum, but man you can get lost in them lol... Anyways I can understand what was in those extremely long threads some what as I haven't ever really found any good pictures of either motor on the areas I'd be working with... I was hoping maybe to get some pictures as I've never really worked with either motor much so don't know what they look like :lol:

Basicly I might have access to a complete L20B in the near future, and I just would rather keep carbs in my roadster.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dohc or sohc? The heads supposedly bolt on... The there's the custom timing chain you'll have to make and the custom front cover and... More, lots more, but if you just want a 2.0 liter twin cam NA Nissan motor... Sr20de rwd...

Have to do major cutting with the SR20 into my roadster, and well not to sound cheap but I can get the parts local and cheaper then I can any of the SR20 ones...

A KA head on a L series bottom end is in no way going to be cheaper than a SR20 - even if the parts are free, unless you have an automotive machine shop in your back pocket. If you are asking what is needed to do it here, you probably don't have the goods to do it. SR20's are pretty cheap. If not then just use the entire KA you are considering getting the head from. No matter what an engine swap into a roadster, and roadsters for that matter are not cheap. Period.

Cylinder spacing and head bolt location are the same. But that's only the easy stuff.

Yeah I saw that much, they was talking about using the Z20 gears on the DE I think it was.. waaaaay too many post to really sort through on those threads.

I know theres a coolant line I have to plug up, I just don't know which one and such as I've never seen either motor.. :lol: I'm in the planning stages of this project

Also, This wont be the first hybrid motor I have in a car I own.. I've worked with a honda which I converted the F22 to an H23 with F22 block.

I have researcher this a while back... Just to diiferent... For the time, cost, difficulty, and return on investment... It's not worth it, I believe you should be able to get a sr20 for 1500 +- and that's a complete package, with a low miekage engine AND transmission... Short tail trannys aren't very strong and if you are able to make more than 150hp or so your gonna be sacrificing reliability.

A few chassis mods will save you a lot of headache in the long run...

A KA head on a L series bottom end is in no way going to be cheaper than a SR20 - even if the parts are free, unless you have an automotive machine shop in your back pocket. If you are asking what is needed to do it here, you probably don't have the goods to do it. SR20's are pretty cheap. If not then just use the entire KA you are considering getting the head from. No matter what an engine swap into a roadster, and roadsters for that matter are not cheap. Period.

Actually they aren't too bad, about the same as most imports. I didn't expect cheap, its just the cost of getting a RWD SR20 here is quite high I priced about 1500-2000 locally.. thats not even having it in the car yet...

Also it doesn't seem to require a machine shop completely, some things are out of my doing yes but the machine shop here doesn't charge too much and is always welcoming new projects.

All I've seen is threads showing all the info, with no pictures... So I kinda have the first half of the info needed... Just not knowing what the motor looks like is a pain as looking online for diagrams and pictures is normally flooded with other crap.

Edited by FoxyRoadster
Guest DatsuNoob

I think you'll have tracking issues with the timing gears lining up, as well as timing cover needing to be custom made (as previously stated), among some of the other things like finding a timing chain that'll work out. Who knows for sure if the L20b or KA24de one will work... Sounds like a pain in the arse, but it would be cool to see someone finally do it, I just hope you dont throw a pile of dough ito it, and then realize you got in too deep with it. I've got a cheap KA24de block and head I'll sell you if you want to get started that way instead.

I read that they had someone running with a turbo running like 14psi I think it blew up though..

I'm going to try to talk to the people who have done the swap, I'm not worried about it being practical, though parts aren't hard to find for any of the motors... I can get all the basic parts they listed on the threads easily stateside..

KA24 head, L20 bottom end, a few of the parts they need and then the z20 timing chain and gears then the time to figure out how to mate them together and god forbid getting it to run...

• Like 1