Updated Horn Button

So, I have a '75 B210 I'm working on freshening up into a quirky daily. Regarding my steering wheel, the main issue is the rubber piece that holds the horn ring away from its contact point (until pressed) is old, dried, and likes to fall out.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to fit a modern horn button on an original Datsun steering wheel/hub assembly.

I do quite like my 3-spoke wheel (apparently part of the GX trim but was standard on US models?), but the leather is old and sticky and the horn pad is solid as a rock. The best thing would be to get an aftermarket wheel/hub, I know, but I'd like to ask around first to see if new horn button + wheel refurbishment is viable.

P.S. If you know any great tricks for removing stubborn, 40 y/o front glass weatherstripping I'd appreciate tips n' tricks. Trying acetone soon.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probable that there is a part from another Datsun that will work for the horn.

WOuldn't be too hard to fit a custom horn push. Momo, Grant, LeCarra and tons of other custom wheel suppliers have a massive assortment of horn buttons.

I ran across a similar issue a few years ago on a restoration project, and I could not find parts that would work together. It was an absolute requirement that we use the factory steering wheel center cover (horn push), so instead of wasting hours of time looking for the right parts, I drilled a hole and slipped a small aftermarket push button in behind the flexible rubber cover. You couldn't see it, and it worked like a charm.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 9:52 AM, ToastyBass said:

So, I have a '75 B210 I'm working on freshening up into a quirky daily. Regarding my steering wheel, the main issue is the rubber piece that holds the horn ring away from its contact point (until pressed) is old, dried, and likes to fall out.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to fit a modern horn button on an original Datsun steering wheel/hub assembly.

I do quite like my 3-spoke wheel (apparently part of the GX trim but was standard on US models?), but the leather is old and sticky and the horn pad is solid as a rock. The best thing would be to get an aftermarket wheel/hub, I know, but I'd like to ask around first to see if new horn button + wheel refurbishment is viable.

P.S. If you know any great tricks for removing stubborn, 40 y/o front glass weatherstripping I'd appreciate tips n' tricks. Trying acetone soon.

When removing old hard windshield & back glass rubber seals, you will NEVER save the seals, so just cut it!!  Carefully cut out all stainless/chrome trim (sorry I'm a 510 guy, do not remember if the B210 is similar), run blade along the trim top & bottom...........the rubber will "splinter off" in long thin strips.  Then cut the main part of the seal.  I use a box cutter, stick the blade under the seal at the glass & pull hard towards you..............do this over & over, until the blade cuts as deep as it will go.  Then I stick the blade perpendicular down in to the rubber, about in as far as the blade already cut (see above).  By doing this, the rubber that hangs over the glass (thus holding the glass in), should start to come apart......"splinter off" in big long chunks.  Once most of the rubber that hangs over the glass is cut out/off, get inside the car & carefully PUSH the glass out, closer to the outer perimeter, NOT in the middle.  If you need to try to save the glass, liberally use any kind penetrant you prefer, even hot soapy water might work.  Push, move around, push more, move around more..........the glass should slowly push out.  It is ALWAYS good to have another set of hands around, so the glass does not fall out!  If you are not saving the glass, just push hard, let it break & be careful of glass shards!!

A lot of the Datsun horn push internal parts are the same, although there are a couple different hardware uses.  Yes, I too like the GX steering wheel, yes I believe all USA spec GX's had that wheel.  The standard B210 had a different steering wheel.  The splines are different (smaller) than the 510, so it does not fit the 510.  The only way to save the outer rim rubber grip, is to pay a good upholstery shop to re-wrap it.  NOT cheap!  You can paint the spokes MATTE BLACK..............please do not use gloss black! 😝  Viable to restore?  Sure, If you have the patience, ingenuity & mulla to figure it all out.  There is no easy way that I can suggest.

• Like 1