1968 520 headlight relay

Chief John

My 520 headlight relay only has 4 terminals and I'm not sure which wire goes to which terminal.

I looked online but can't find a schematic for the guts of the relay.  It is a Nissan 25238-B7911.  I'll try to post a photo once I figure out how.

Thanks

John

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wire colors

Red/yellow  power from light switch

Red/white.   High beams (all 4 headlights)

Red/black.   Low beams (2 outer headlights)

Black.           I assume this is the trigger wire that should shift the relay from low to high beams.

Also have no voltage on the wires on the turn signal stalk for high/low beams but do have power to the turn signals wires (turn signals work)

Thank you

John

Instead of Black I have a Red wire. Test the Black for power when the headlight switch is pulled out.

Red/yellow  power from light switch I think this goes to the light switch and is grounded

Red/white.   High beams (all 4 headlights) yes

Red/black.   Low beams (2 outer headlights) yes

Thanks for the help.  I found another relay bolted to the fender well.  It was old and rusty.  I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and was able to see how it was wired.  After reinstalling the headlights work perfectly.  I now get high and low beams using the turn signal stalk controls.

Thanks again

John

Another oddity... Most Datsuns power the headlight relay off the parking lights. If your headlights are stuck on high beam check if the parking lights are working. On the headlight relay the default position is high beams. Without parking lights the relay can't select low beams.

My '68 510 had no working washer pump. The original owner may not have ever used it as the wiper knob must be turned to work it. Took me a long time to figure this out. I took it apart (all tiny nuts and bolts) sanded the commutator, the copper was all corroded. Worked perfectly. My next Datsun was a new '76 B-210 and the electric motor was riveted together.