1966 520 led issue

I have a 1966 520 I saved from the junk yard, i recently installed leds lights. now the tail lights stay on even after the head light switch is turned off. I pulled the head light switch apart and cleaned it, greased it and reassembled. the switch works perfect but my tail lights stay on. (led). I was thinking they aren't grounded well enough. any thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You installed LED tail lights?  or others as well???

Are the front parking lights also on???

On the face of it I can't see how this is possible. Were the tail lights working properly before the change??? Once the headlight switch is off there is no power back there.

Unplug the headlight switch.... what happens???

Are you sure that the lights that are on are the tail lights and not the brake lights?

Installing LEDs in the park/turn positions has brought up a bunch of problems and fixes. I've never heard of the problem with brake lights though.

A few years ago we installed some LED dash warning lights and had an issue with the charge light. It wouldn't ever go out either. I forget what the fix was. Maybe a diode? Maybe a resistor? I think it was a resistor.

My turn signals wouldn't flash so I added a resister to L&R side wire to the bulbs after the switch. When the signals are used the LEDs work but there is an additional load to ground that activates the flasher.

For the front amber lamps I  added 2 strip light for the parking and 8 for the signal. Parking light is brighter and now looks more yellow than the orange amber they were. The signal is twice as bright still.

TLtQNUt.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

It turns out the rear lights connection under the hood on the passenger side, wasn't connecting well from sitting 20+ years. pulled apart the connector and cleaned her up. works like a dream. decided I should go thru all the connectors and everything started working.