Z24 valve train clickity clack

IZRL

In general how quiet is the valve train in z24s. I have some clickity clackity going on. I adjusted the valve lash twice. The first time I warned it up while parked then adjusted and there was no change in the sound. The second time I drove it for 20 minutes and then adjusted. There was a significant reduction in noise. But a few days later, it came back. Not as loud as before but definitely louder than right after the adjustment.

This is just a general wondering of how loud our quiet these are when they're healthy. As I still have to inspect the exhaust manifold closer to make sure there's no leaks. Also I'm pretty sure I have a leak in the EGR tube where it connects to the egr valve. Going to do an EGR delete. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The factory setting is 0.014" which to me seems a bit thick. What did you set at? I would try 0.012"

Yeah delete the EGR. Cut the pipe at the exhaust manifold and crush and fold it with vice grips or install a pipe plug. The actual EGR you can simply disconnect the hose to it from the VVT variable vacuum transducer to de-activate it or remove it and put a block off plate on the intake.

• Like 1

I set them at .012 . I'm going to delete the egr and replace the exhaust manifold gasket. When I bought the truck it was missing 2 bolts and a stud and the bolts/nuts that were on there were loose. So im thinking the exhaust manifold gasket needs changing. 

Edited by IZRL
18 hours ago, IZRL said:

exhaust manifold gasket needs changing. 

the eaxuaust side blows out if bolts loose or missing.

Not related but I had a cheap oil filter ans would clack on startup. then bought the Jeep oil filter and never did the clack. Assume its the anti drain valve in there. keep oil in the filter instead of draining out

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 12:27 PM, datzenmike said:

Yeah delete the EGR. Cut the pipe at the exhaust manifold and crush and fold it with vice grips or install a pipe plug.

EGR delete done. The plug for the exhaust manifold is an M24 1.5 thread pitch for 85 720 Z24 if anyone is wondering. I purchased the one in the link below. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ZKMW46J?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Edited by IZRL
  • Thanks 1

Did you actually get the egr tube out of the exhaust manifold in one piece?! I just deleted my egr and was going to put a bolt in it as well (thanks for the bolt size), but holf f*ck that thing is rusted/welded in there. Should've just kept the dam thing, but nooo, I have too much coffee and everythings gotta look neat and uncluttered. Liquid wrench/heat/pipe wrench/breaker bar/crowbar/hammer/dremel relief cuts/hood off/standing on it cursing, just ended up butchering the poor thing and cutting it flush to the manifold. Now I gotta figure out what the hell I'm gonna do to plug it. I'm dreading the idea of taking off the manifold and possibly breaking a rusty bolt just to get better access to this hole. There's a smaller diameter hole inside the thread hole that I could possibly put a self tapping screw in. Maybe I just hammer some nickels in there and hope I don't get shot by one going through the firewall while Im driving. Thatd be my luck.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Foxhound said:

Did you actually get the egr tube out of the exhaust manifold in one piece?! I just deleted my egr and was going to put a bolt in it as well (thanks for the bolt size), but holf f*ck that thing is rusted/welded in there. Should've just kept the dam thing, but nooo, I have too much coffee and everythings gotta look neat and uncluttered. Liquid wrench/heat/pipe wrench/breaker bar/crowbar/hammer/dremel relief cuts/hood off/standing on it cursing, just ended up butchering the poor thing and cutting it flush to the manifold. Now I gotta figure out what the hell I'm gonna do to plug it. I'm dreading the idea of taking off the manifold and possibly breaking a rusty bolt just to get better access to this hole. There's a smaller diameter hole inside the thread hole that I could possibly put a self tapping screw in. Maybe I just hammer some nickels in there and hope I don't get shot by one going through the firewall while Im driving. Thatd be my luck.

Damn 😬!! 

Mine was pretty rusted up too. But luckily after soaking it with penetrating WD a few times and giving it a few light wacks on the end of the wrench with a hammer. It loosened up and came out in one piece. Maybe post a picture of what you're working with and somebody will most likely chime in with an idea on how to plug it.