Ac in 1977 Datsun 620

I’ve owned a 1977 620 for about a month now and I’m thinking once summer rolls around I’d like to put AC in the ride. It looks like there are holes in the firewall for ac lines which is a start. Doesn’t look like there are any ac kits specifically for it. I’m wondering if I should just use a universal under dash ac kit. Has anyone done this successfully and have any tips? I’m also wondering what people have done for the compressor bracket. Is

it not a good idea? Thanks 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/19/2024 at 8:10 PM, Teej said:

I’ve owned a 1977 620 for about a month now and I’m thinking once summer rolls around I’d like to put AC in the ride. It looks like there are holes in the firewall for ac lines which is a start. Doesn’t look like there are any ac kits specifically for it. I’m wondering if I should just use a universal under dash ac kit. Has anyone done this successfully and have any tips? I’m also wondering what people have done for the compressor bracket. Is

it not a good idea? Thanks 

I did ac in my 521....

The bracket is the hardest part to find or make..... I had to make mine....

You also need a pulley with the extra air pump groove.... 

All the parts I sourced individually to fit my application from ebay..  

1 problem I ran into was I bought the lines and fittings as a universal kit...

I had a hard time finding anyone to crimp them.... so good idea is find a place than will do the crimping and buy the fittings from them.... or atleast find someone willing to crimp ebay parts....

My only other recommendation is to go with a combo unit.... in hind sight I wish I did.. my heater core died shortly after and finding replacement is getting harder... this will also allow a better placement since the factory heat box will be gone... my ac is a small unit that is positioned under my glove box...  still keeps me cool but it favors the passenger....