stock radio

Tommy Dat

The radio in my 1980 Datsun 720 powers on but makes no sound.  I have checked all the fuses and do not find any issues with wiring.  I bought some 4" speakers and tried them and it makes the faintest sound but is not controllable with knobs.  when i removed the radio it appears to be hardwired into the unit without a harness clip and the antenna does not have a plug either.  how do I know if it is the radio itself that is bad?  can I cut the wires and splice in a harness for a replacement radio?

I would prefer to keep the stock radio but I have not been able to troubleshoot the issue.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

720-radio2.jpg

720-radio.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have a pic of where the wires from the truck connect to the stereo? If I understand correctly, you're saying that someone cut off the original connector that comes from the truck's wiring harness and then spliced the stereo wires directly onto the trucks wires? They usually sell replacement connectors to replace the vehicles original harness connector. But it looks like there isn't an aftermarket replacement available for this truck. You could try and find an original female connector for your truck which would be the easiest way to wire the stereo. All you would do is match the wire colors and splice them back together. But by the looks of it, "if" you find an original connector its gonna be pricey. Therefore in this case I would disconnect the trucks wires from the old stereos wires and splice the new wires from the new stereo in. New stereos come with a harness that has a connector on one side and loose wires on the other. The connector goes into the stereo and you have to buy an aftermarket male connector that connects to your vehicles connector. You have to splice the stereo's connector to the aftermarket connector you purchased and then you can just connect the stereo onto the vehicles oem connector. The new stereo comes with it's own wiring diagram for the connector that comes with it. But since your truck doesn't have the oem connector. Your only option is to splice the wires directly from the new stereos harness to the loose wires coming from the truck. This is a bit more complicated as you have to figure out which wires are for what on your trucks harness (Power, ground, speakers).

I was reading another post on this forum where they mentioned that the 1980 720 only came with one speaker originally. I can't really tell, how many wires are coming from the stereo and how many wires are coming from the truck?

11 hours ago, Tommy Dat said:

Did you buy the radio?  I don't see the post on FB.  

By the sounds of it, your vehicle doesn't have the radio connector. So unless you find a connector to replace your old connector. Buying a used oem stereo is not going to help you. It's not going to have any wires for you to splice into. 

Hey Tommy.Their is a Nissan radio on Ebay with pig tail for 134.95 or best offer on Ebay for sale.like the one i posted before.Has 10 pictures.Type this in to Ebay to see.He wants 6.99 to ship.85 NISSAN DATSUN 720 Pickup OEM CLARION AM/FM STEREO WITH WIRING PIGTAIL 

Edited by Thomas Perkins

I have a used Kenwood C.D. player that I bought from Circiut City.It is nice.You can put Cd's in it and name them.Everytime you put in in,the name will appear.Also can do all radio ststions too..Has clock.The cover comes off.I Have 2 pioneer 6x9 3 way speakers and 2 small speakers the same size in mine.They are also pioneer.I have the manual.Have the wiring pigtail.I have the 6x9 speaker boxes but  I am using them in my truck.I  have Bluetooth and Alexa.Here is a video of it.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Or you can just ride in silence. With older cars my nose and ears are always on high alert. Always listening and smelling for signs that something went wrong. I have this datsun stereo in my truck that works fine aside from the fact that the only setting on it that works on the right knob is the "MW" option.  I haven't bothered to check if its the FM or AM setting? So this stereo doesn't get any play time. If I truly feel like listening to music in the truck I could just use my JBL GO3 bluetooth speaker. It sounds way better than the stereo anyway. On top of all that the radio stations suck around here.

BjhJNm6.jpg

On the other hand in my daily driver. I've invested in a good system. Listening to music is very important to me. I like the music to sound as close to what the producers/artist meant it to sound as possible. I have the JVC KD-X360BTS stereo that I paid like $80 + tax on special. Which I highly recommend. Doesn't take CD's only Aux, Bluetooth, and USB. But who has CDs these days anyway. It's got Alpine 6" mids and Rockford fosgate tweeters in the front. Alpine 6X9s in the back, 10" subwoofer, and two Amplifiers one for the sub and one for the mids. I chose the jvc because it lets you micro adjust the sound. You can adjust the sound by frequency Range in Hz. You can tweak it from around 30hz all the way to like 15k hz (don't quote me on the Hz range). Just to give you an idea of how specific I am about sound. It probably took me a total of like 6 hrs to set the stereo settings to where it sounded as good as it could sound to my ears. If anybody picks this stereo up, I'll be happy to give you my settings, see if it works for you.

p4DAXU7.jpg

Edited by IZRL

Nice JVC.I prefer Kenwood.I still use my 150 or so C.D's.I also got the XM radio on mine.I went all out.New speakers.You can get the kit to connect to your steering wheel to use or a remote.I also got a new antenna cable.My face plate is removable.I can change the face plate to 20 different colors.It has Alexa too.Check out the video on it.

• Like 1
On 1/19/2024 at 5:12 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

Nice JVC.I prefer Kenwood.I still use my 150 or so C.D's.I also got the XM radio on mine.I went all out.New speakers.You can get the kit to connect to your steering wheel to use or a remote.I also got a new antenna cable.My face plate is removable.I can change the face plate to 20 different colors.It has Alexa too.Check out the video on it.

Kenwood and Pioneer have always been great car stereos. They are the Hondas of the stereo world, affordable and reliable. I have about 30 cds in my collection. But today I prefer collecting mp3s. I have 56 gigabytes of music in my mp3 collection. Out of all that music I only regularly listen to 500 songs that I have saved on my phone and play on my stereo through bluetooth. This is the first stereo I've owned that doesn't accept cds. It threw me off when I pulled it out of the box. The stereo is about a 1/4 of the length and weight of stereos that accept cds. I was like what the hell, where's the rest of the stereo? These cd-less stereos seem to be more affordable too.

Stereo prices have dropped big time.The Kenwood I replaced was over 300,which was back in 2000 from Circuit city,and this new one was 150.My wife has a 6 disc player in her 04 Lincoln LS,but she is not big like me on Stereo's.You got a good deal on yours.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • 2 weeks later...