Clevis pin size for 78 620 handbrake system

Kevin B

Could anyone tell me the size clevis pin for my 78 Datsun 620 is needed please?

Could Home Depot possibly be an alternative to securing a clevis pin instead? Size and diameter.?? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What exact size should I buy or should I remove the brake shoe and take it in so I can verify that it fits by hitting the back end into the shoes proper hole for the clevis pin? 

2 hours ago, Kevin B said:

What exact size should I buy or should I remove the brake shoe and take it in so I can verify that it fits by hitting the back end into the shoes proper hole for the clevis pin? 

If it's the same as the 521 as mike says I have 2 you can have....20240101_172045.thumb.jpg.e646d5dbd166584a7a3ca971b620fa9b.jpg

About to eat dinner but after I can grab my calipers from the garage and get you some actual measurements unless you want the one I have... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes I have the ebrake arm and cable. I'm just wanting to remove the screw and several nuts that are locked up into the screw to actually use the ebrake.

Just tired of the lame set-up I have 

Looking at the piece you're showing on paper I don't recall are movable washer then the pin to keep it in place.

I forgot about that.

I kept thinking it was just the pin without the washer and then the arm is attached then the clip inserted in the hole

. I need a washer as I see it now again since 2000 when I lost it 

3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

If it's the same as the 521 as mike says I have 2 you can have....20240101_172045.thumb.jpg.e646d5dbd166584a7a3ca971b620fa9b.jpg

About to eat dinner but after I can grab my calipers from the garage and get you some actual measurements unless you want the one I have... 

I'd really appreciate the offer for receiving this pin.

I've rigged up a screw, washer etc over the years and I don't like the aspect of it and I don't feel it's safe.

You'll need a address. 1065 W 21st Ave Apache Junction AZ 85120.

I can send you money to you ahead of time for shipping and purchase or afterwards once I get them.

Great news to hear from all of here 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kevin B said:

I'd really appreciate the offer for receiving this pin.

I've rigged up a screw, washer etc over the years and I don't like the aspect of it and I don't feel it's safe.

You'll need a address. 1065 W 21st Ave Apache Junction AZ 85120.

I can send you money to you ahead of time for shipping and purchase or afterwards once I get them.

Great news to hear from all of here 

They are yours....

Give me a day or so and I'll get them sent out... 

Money will be minimal probably just the shipping rounded up... 

Talk soon.....

On 1/1/2024 at 12:31 PM, datzenmike said:

Hardware store anyh farm supply store, Fastenal?

I found a 1/4 inch diameter and about 1/2 inch long one but it's not tight but I'll try it . Home Depot was the best place.

I think the it's 5/16th diameter 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kevin B said:

I found a 1/4 inch diameter and about 1/2 inch long one but it's not tight but I'll try it . Home Depot was the best place.

1/4 would be a little loose but close... 1/4 is .250 actaul diameter is .272... 5/16 is .312 so that probably to big, atleast it should be...

If you still want them I have them packaged up and I can get them in the mail after work tomorrow....

I assume your name is Kevin B(something),  So if you want more than that and your address on the label let me know here or with a private message.... 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

0.272" is 6.908mm If it was actually 0.275" then it would be bang on 7mm

On 1/1/2024 at 12:31 PM, datzenmike said:

Hardware store anyh farm supply store, Fastenal?

I can't recall if the pull arm was really tight against the brake and pin installed. It has to move to be pulled into position to lock the brake.

The 1/4 inch diameter is all I could find. I'll try to find a brake machine shop first to get the brakes machined and try later 

IIRC the pin is a snug fit and any brake dust and you had to lightly tap it in or out.

Measure the hole and the pin has to be smaller. Surely all Datsuns were metric starting somewhere in the 521 production?

The hole in the brake shoe and toggle lever are slightly smaller diameter than the actual pin that gets tapped in for the snug fit.

I ordered new springs and and brakes and also had the local shop turn my drums for better contact