Looking for a differential... Is the 720 good for Urvan E23?

Spacewalkingninja

Yeah... my hearse started squealing due to old age, or it's missing the coffins?

Not sure and I too am getting tired of dark humour anmd stupid jokes to lift myself up.

I imagine that the 720 differential could be a good fit for my van?

WHAT Nissan/Datsun differential would fit my 1982-86 Urvan E23 (SD23)

Here are some schematics to look at..

https://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/urvan/e23/1583-lb/power_train/380/38454/

380__B01.png

This was out of my bounds so I drove her to a mechanic I was recommended by a friend. The guy called me today and told me it wasn't the rear axle bearing, as I was thinking... and hoping. Unfortunately, they say, it is the differential that's squaling on my van.

I am not sure how extensive the damage is, so I will be looking for the whole unit so we can build a diff out of the 2 units.

Any help, appreciated 🙂

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if this holds any truth, which I think it does.. The 720 diff should be a good fit. A confirmation from someone who understands this better than me will ease my inner fears, but here is the 720's rear schematic:

380__C01.png

both share a lot of parts, and mainly the ring and pinion so I think it isn't too far fetched to make it work.

Top picture is the C-200 (ring diameter 200mm) used in the '83 and up 4x4 with 4.11 ratio only, bottom is the H-190. (190mm) 3.364, 3.545. 3.70, 3.889, 4.11, 4.375 and 4.625.

Also the noise is most likely one of the three bearings and not the gears. Bearings are much cheaper to replace.

yeah, you're correct about the pictures. Probably that website has some info wrong because I couldn't find a E23 SD23 Urvan rear diagram... Tomorrow I'll be going to the shop and I will talk to them & see if bearing replacement is an option. Main problem here is going to be finding the right parts. After some digging I found the reference 38311C6040 tied to a E23 Urvan diff, I'm not 100% sure mine will be the same... I will be searching with the info I find on mine.

So far it appears though that the 38311C6040 is used in D21, D22 pickups, in nissan vanette's, Cabstar / Atlas trucks.

If this holds true, it may be easier than they were telling me.

Here is where I got hold of the reference>

https://partslocator.com.au/1983/nissan/urvan/e23/lwb/5-sp-manual/20l-carb/diff-complete-rear/toowoomba/qld/7171481

Tomorrow I will make sure what exactly my van's got though

Thanks!

I just thought it was a fun pun. Lol question along this line. I noticed a couple days ago that a crunchy bad sound was coming from the rear of the 720 it's intermittent and happens most often when turning and while the bed has a couple hundred lbs of cargo. Also perhaps while driving uphill under load though it's less crunchy then. Is this probably my differential needing fluid or. Could it be the drum brakes finally giving up the ghost and getting stuck ?

Seriously though you guys don't get the joke or you're just messing with me? He needs a differential but he's looking for a different differential that has the same difference.... or rather he's looking for the same differential but a different differential will do as long as it's the same difference.. either way to me that's friggin hilarious 

Edited by None_zero