EL transmission

rreidiii

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea.

Best to place a want ad in our classifieds... https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/  ... anyone with one for sale will be looking there.

You're looking for a Datsun A series engine transmission then.

The '76-'78 Datsun B-210 with A series engines did offer an optional FS5W63A five speed with reverse above first. 

The '79-'82 Datsun 210 also had A series engines and used 60 series 4 and 5 speeds. The '78-'79 were FS5W60A were also dogleg shift pattern and less strong as the 63A. The '80-'82 were FS5W60L  but had the regular H shift pattern.

Good luck, most wrecked cars were stripped by MG owners fr their 5 speeds.

• Like 1

I own three Sprite/Midgets, and have never felt they need the five speed. Sure, the first gear on a Sprite is non-synchro, but who cares? And with a 3.90 R&P, highway speed is at a low enough RPM to be comfortable.

What is so compelling about the 5 speed conversion?

On 11/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, rreidiii said:

What does the EL on the bell housing? I’m looking for an f series 60 transmission for a Austin Healey conversion kit.

any help is greatly appreciated.

robert

EL  and f series means nothing to me. Often casting molds or revision change numbers are cast into the aluminum cases. Datsun 'A' series engine transmissions are usually referred to as 56, 60 or 63A series. This number is the center to center distance between the main and countershafts in mm and a fairly relative approximate gauge of strength as larger the gears and bearings can fitted.

Why a 5 speed? Well bragging rights I guess. The uninitiated will think they have the potential to go faster but with small 4 cylinder engines they are power limited and will go faster in 4th. Fifth is just a highway cruise speed.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

EL  and f series means nothing to me. Often casting molds or revision change numbers are cast into the aluminum cases. Datsun 'A' series engine transmissions are usually referred to as 56, 60 or 63A series. This number is the center to center distance between the main and countershafts in mm and a fairly relative approximate gauge of strength as larger the gears and bearings can fitted.

Why a 5 speed? Well bragging rights I guess. The uninitiated will think they have the potential to go faster but with small 4 cylinder engines they are power limited and will go faster in 4th. Fifth is just a highway cruise speed.

True. The smaller 948cc and even 1098cc motors will hardly be able to push 5th gear.