No Dash Light Period…

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good point. If front and rear parking, clearance lights, license lights, dash lights and interior light are out... all are powered by the 15 amp fuse located 13 over from the left hand side or 3 over from the far right hand side of the fuse box. Never trust a fuse visually, instead swap it with the 15 amp fuse beside it. If lights are restored it was the fuse, if it blows then you have a wire touching ground somewhere.

If you look at the 3 wire plug on the illumination control, one is Black. The Black wire should go to ground so make a jumper wire from it to a known ground and see if this helps.

On the left side of the steering column up against the underside of the dash and forward of the column clam shell, there are two ten wire connectors. The White connector has a Black wire to ground for the dash gauges and lights. Unplugging and plugging back in may fix the contact issue.

The Blue 10 pin connector has the Red/Yellow power wire from the light switch. You could check for voltage, and again unplugging and plugging back in might fix a contact problem. If no power the problem may be in the light switch.

• Like 1
On 10/3/2023 at 11:50 PM, Draker said:

Do you have power to the dimmer? Dash lights usually on the same circuit as tail lights. Do the tail lights work?

No I don’t think so?? Man I am not very good with Trucks I am a Green Novice so I have a meter I can check for power there? I was going to try the jumper idea Mike has also but any step by step to a Green Horn u could give me would be great-Trust me I do appreciate any guidance u could possibly shoot my way. Thanks 

Edited by 85 720 king cab 4x2
Wrote the wrong thing down
7 hours ago, DwayneOxford said:

720 dash lights.jpg

3 hours ago, 85 720 king cab 4x2 said:
On 10/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

I use a 13/16 socket and NGK Iridum's on mine.Some people use stock copper NGK spark plugs.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:49 PM, 1001001SOS said:

Yep 13/16, had to grab one today.

Thanks guys for the spark Plug Socket side I thought I was tripping because some one told me 14mm end it didn’t even come close. I had a 13/16 I just bought because my socket set,  only went up to 19 mm and I guess I figured that was the closest thing but I didn’t wasn’t sure thanks for the help.

Broken English
8 hours ago, 85 720 king cab 4x2 said:

Yes the tail lights work! As do the license plate lights, the front marker lights all of those work just know Dash and no Dimmer I don’t know where the power comes to that dimmer switch?? plus my horns never worked. I guess that has nothing to do with it though.??

Actually you do know where power comes from:

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If you look at the 3 wire plug on the illumination control, one is Black. The Black wire should go to ground so make a jumper wire from it to a known ground and see if this helps.

On the left side of the steering column up against the underside of the dash and forward of the column clam shell, there are two ten wire connectors. The White connector has a Black wire to ground for the dash gauges and lights. Unplugging and plugging back in may fix the contact issue.

The Blue 10 pin connector has the Red/Yellow power wire from the light switch. You could check for voltage, and again unplugging and plugging back in might fix a contact problem. If no power the problem may be in the light switch.

It doesn't follow that the illumination control switch is the problem for no dash lights, it could be, but it could be several things. You changed the dimmer with no effect.

The light switch is on the steering column so possibly one of those 10 pin connectors?

I am sure u are probably correct. I’ve had a separate line for my headlights they went out. I don’t know how long ago I got a different one from GD Humpries and it still didn’t work so I ran a separate relay, separate rocker switch for the headlights so i at least have lights and I’ve just recently figured out if I turn the headlight switch all the way on and hit the brights I’ve got bright lights !! so I went back and hooked the regular headlights back up to the truck OEM plugs, to absolutely Nothing! So what ever got screwed up with a Main headlights is the same time when I lost my dash lights & my horn when I switch to a garret steering wheel , I haven’t had dash lights for almost entire time I’ve had the truck! I just wish I knew a little bit more about the electrical system. I read and read and read I see stuff under there but I just don’t understand it. I appreciate you guys trying to help me. It’s very frustrating. I spent a lot of money on all that stuff and came out to nothing in the end, thanks again for your help