Brake Booster and MC for an '82

1001001SOS

It seems the 1982 720 is the last year to use the non-vented front brakes, and I'm looking at upgrading these.

Thing is, I want to get my truck back on the road before I just throw money at it. I am considering a lot of things for suspension and brakes later, but for now I have a somewhat working OEM system so I want to get that fully working if I can.

I'm going to start with a new booster and master cylinder I think since mine are pretty shot. I know a lot of Datsun/Nissan stuff interchanges here, and my end goal is probably modest (D21 brakes or maaaaaybe midsize Wilwoods).

Is there a good "all-around" brake booster and MC that I can get which will work for my OEM dinner plates AND bigger brakes later? I don't know much about braking setups, just that pressure and proportioning matter and affect things a lot. So I'm hoping I can buy once here and save some money later.  Thanks yall!

Edited by 1001001SOS
  • 1001001SOS changed the title to Brake Booster and MC for an '82
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The '80-'82 disc brakes were a holdover from the '78-'79 620 truck. When Nissan upgraded the calipers and rotors in '83 they also upgraded the booster and went from a 7/8" master to a 15/16". The '83 and up 720 disc brakes are the same as the early D21 Hardbody except if with the VG30 engine. I think the vented rotors are the same but the caliper is bigger.

The proportioning or front/rear bias is simply designed into the wheel cylinders in the back and the master.

• Like 1

I am really eyeballing this S110/200sx booster since I just love yellowed zinc a ton:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373568719864

I think it should work and maybe need the connecting arm swapped over. Then again it has 40 year old seals and shit inside, so In don't know. Would rather rebuild this one than get a remanufactured unit anyway to be honest.

Ah dang, I thought your previous post implied the MC was what mattered and the booster was just a matter of form factor. Oh well.

Im having a bit of trouble because the boosters for the D21 and later look more short and stocky, and potentially mounting the MC further from the firewall than the skinnier one like I have. I may need to find one in a yard and do some measuring to see if it is the same overall, and/or I can bend the lines enough probably to make it meet. It has to be close if not the same right?

Ideally I can just yank everything off a truck for cheap but it's harder to find anything worth using for cheap these days! And remanufactured is always a toss up. 

Edit: I looked into the later 720 setups and think I understand now, just need to get the spacer tube also for the fat booster and I think I will be set

Edited by 1001001SOS
On 10/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, 1001001SOS said:

Yeah definitely, if you have any pics or info that would be awesome. 

I apologize for the late reply. The ridge in the booster indicates it is a double. Looking at the pedestal I had to redrill the pattern for the booster but I have been rolling this for years and it works well.20231007_122753.thumb.jpg.98464fd66a4bd64cd3be3c6c3aeae2b8.jpg20231007_122809.thumb.jpg.1abed657836ee23ff58458eef524ff0f.jpg

• Like 1

Ahhh sweet, thank you @bottomwatcher that helps put some things together for me.

I was at my local yard today checking out a '94 and '97 Pathfinder, sadly no D21's anywhere near me.

Both the Pathfinders are 4WD, which I think is a good thing? But both are missing the Booster and MC (of course). There's so much info out there about different combinations that work, it was really good to see how the Pathfinder setup looks in person and compare it to mine. 

I am going to start getting together parts from this list, since both those local Pathfinders have good 4WD brakes at least that's a good start. Not that I'm down to the wire with getting any of this figured out, still a lot to do, but brakes are high on the list since I really want to take this old girl for a spin!

Got tired of trying to find something local so I'm ordering from Napa since they have a 20% deal going right now.

I think these two parts will work for me:

D21 15/16ths booster: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBB532555?ref=MQ==

Late-720 15/16ths MC with correct ports: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMAM2596?ref=MA==

Going to give it a shot and will post results!

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, bottomwatcher said:

I apologize for the late reply. The ridge in the booster indicates it is a double. Looking at the pedestal I had to redrill the pattern for the booster but I have been rolling this for years and it works well.20231007_122753.thumb.jpg.98464fd66a4bd64cd3be3c6c3aeae2b8.jpg20231007_122809.thumb.jpg.1abed657836ee23ff58458eef524ff0f.jpg

Do you know what year that Frontier brake booster is from? It looks very similar to the one on my 94 Pathfinder (4WD, VG30E). Also, are you still running the MC from your 720?

Yes running the MC from the 720 because it was nearly new at the time. The booster was I think 2005 frontier.  If this mc craps out I know I can slap on a frontier one. When swapping these parts it opens a whole world of more available parts in the future. My drivetrain is ka and C series trans. Don't even use the word datsun when looking for parts and there is much more available.

• Like 1