1984 720 4x4 Front wheel bearing adjustment ?

Still Breathin

Hey folks been a while since I was on but ran into an issue while changing out my front rotors, I have always tightened my front wheel bearings by running the nut up & turning the hub until all slop is gone then tap retaining nut a bit tighter just to line up the slot for the retaining nut lock washer. However I like to check my shop manual prior to doing most jobs & it tells me I need to " set preload torque "  I have  NEVER had to do this before so I thought I would ask those who know, is this absolutely needed or will the way I have always done front wheel bearings work without messing something up ?  Thanks ahead of time & if someone has already answered this I apologize but I need to know because snow will be blowing soon !

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing all the 'slop' and then further tightening till the cotter pin goes in is rough on the bearing life.

Assuming bearings are in good shape and everything fully greased...

Tighten wheel bearing nut to 25-29 ft. lbs.

Turn wheel several turns in both directions to seat bearing.

Check nut torque is still 25-29 ft. lbs.

Loosen nut 45 degrees. That's half of a 90.

Install adjusting cap and tighten until any of the grooves aligns with the hole in the spindle.

If this can't be achieved tighten the nut up to as much as 15 degrees and use a new cotter pin.

I've never done this but...

Using a fish scale pull sideways on any wheel lug and measure the effort needed to begin turning the hub.

With new bearings ........ 6.4 pounds.

With used parts.............. 2.2 pounds.