Do 510 struts fit in a 910?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and a newbie with Datsuns in general, since I bought my first Datsun just a few months ago. Anyways, I went to inspect my 910 some time ago and the underbody was pretty much rust-free, considerng the car has spent its entire life here in Finland exposed to salt on the road and whatnot in winter. But there was a slight problem, the front left strut was pretty much a goner. The spring and the shock itself were in a neat condition, but the plate under the spring just crumbled into pieces and I was wondering where I could get a new strut, since you can't legally fix the plate by welding it back together. I found some 510 struts on sale and I thought if I could fit them in my car. Even if they fit, are they really worth putting in since they are from a rather smaller car? I'll eventually change to s13 coilovers, but something has to be done quickly before the reinspection and I thought the 510 struts could fit. If they can't fit, I'll just have to weld the existing one and pray for the best.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a picture? Our 910 (called a Maxima) had a six cylinder and the coils were much larger and the brake rotors were vented and also larger calipers. I don't know what your 4 cylinder 910 had for brakes.

Here's an '84 910 strut...

iu2VvTA.jpg

Yes it will fit... the wheel bolt pattern and strut angle are the same.  Strut tube may be longer on the 510 so it may sit higher. 

Do the 510 struts come with the spring???

• 2 weeks later...

the wheel will be slightly farther out with a 510 strut 

smaller brakes and smaller bearing but it will fit 

also a 280zx strut will fit and probably be a perfect match 

a maxima strut too 

these are all American market names 

The non North American 910 was a 4 cylinder and was shorter at the front because of this. It likely had much smaller calipers and rotors than our six cylinder Maxima. European 910s also had an L18SSS option with dual SUs and long dogleg 5 speed.

I assume that your rotors are not vented and are similar to the 510?

A picture would help.