What's wrong with my 720? Dies when shifting

plea4peace

New to me '84 Datsun 720 pickup. Automatic, immaculate condition and mostly original except for a Weber carburetor, fuel tank and lines, drums, etc. Only 30,000 miles.

Problem: it just died one day while driving home. Pulled over, started right back up, but when I went to shift into drive, it immediately died. Started it in neutral, it died again while shifting. A friend mentioned the idle was rough and I needed to adjust the air mix screw on the carb, so tried tightening that. It started up and stayed on after shifting, so I made it home thinking I solved it.

Next day, died on the road again. I tried tightening the screw but this time to no avail, and noticed it may have been all the way down. Did not manage to back the screw out before the tow truck arrived to the local shop.

That was 5 weeks ago. First the local shop said it was the carb gaskets sucking in air, replaced those and same problem. Then they said it was ignition switch. Determined it was fine and they were stumped. Went there today, and they demonstrated it still starts and runs but died when you shift. Now they think it is the torque converter lockup controller solenoid, or the lockup controller itself. (90-350 dollar parts from what I see online) and want me to help look for the part. Said if it is not those it could be the transmission. They seem to have no idea.

Any pros with experience on this vehicle have any ideas on what you would do next if it was yours? Is it possible they did not back the carb screw out and it is exacerbating the issue? I love this truck and want to see her back on the road.

RDT_20230912_1217575365750902068303845.jpg

• plea4peace changed the title to What's wrong with my 720? Dies when shifting
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a set up to turn the idle cut solenoid off when decelerating and idle fuel not needed. There are interlock switches that turn it on if clutch is disengaged or if not in gear. 

I would wire the idle cut on at all times the ignition is on and see if this is the cause.