720 L20 to FS5W71B Gusset?

matthewabate

I am looking for the part numbers (or a set for sale) for the gussets / brackets / braces that bolt the L20 to the bottom of the bell housing on the five speed.

I got a set from a 280zx thinking they would be the same but the holes don’t line up on the bell housing. Did the 720 have a different set?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that the L series are tilted to the right side by 12 degrees and the Z series are about 6 degrees to the left of vertical. A difference of about 18-20 degrees. Because of this rotation an L series gusset won't line up with the holes on a Z series transmission. Just hold that thought for a second.

The part number for the gussets on the 280zx are the same as those used on the '80-'83 S110 200sx with Z series engines. Which is seemingly impossible, unless the '80 and on FS5W71B transmissions had both L and Z series holes for them. This is likely the case. The transmissions on the 280zx were changed (extra holes) to allow the use of the different Z series gussets and won't work on '80 and older L series transmissions. (this is an assumption, but it fits)

You don't say what exactly this L20B is being used on. If an '80 720 then they were not used on them or any 720 engine, so don't even bother with them. 240/260 and 280 Z cars didn't use them so why L 4 cylinders all do is a mystery to me.

Thanks for the info. Here are the details:

The transmission is a FS5W71B from a 1980 720 that has an L20B or an L18S in it (the guy I bought it from said L20B but I only see L18S listed in the parts catalogs).

The engine is an F54 L28 block from a 1983 280ZX Turbo. The gussets I have came with this engine, which I got from a parted-out car. They align perfectly with the holes in the separator plate.

The 720 transmission mates perfectly to the ZX block and separator plate, however the holes in the 720 bell housing are off by about 2 inches from these ZX gussets. There are bosses for in the exact spots where the gussets line up, which makes sense because it’s the same casting for all these cars.

The 240/260/280Zs did not use them, but as the engines got stronger lash became a problem, which is why the 280ZX does. I am concerned that my hopped up ZX engine is going to have this problem so I’d like to find some from a 720 if they exist. If I can’t I’ll either fabricate some or drill out bosses on the bell housing.

I’m guessing the truck had them because they may have been had more torque than the Zs and passenger cars with the same engines (although I think the maximas had them, too).

Only the '80 720 had the gussets and they only came with L20Bs. The L18 was only used in the '73 610, '74 710 and the '74 620. That was it at just 2 years.

Most gussets are steel, I have, or had, a set of aluminum ones.

I would install the gussets and use them to drill out the bosses in the transmission. Boom, done.

You’d be amazed what I’ve been able to find in the Middle East, but I’m thinking to help me find used ones.

I was looking at the exploded diagrams for that truck and think maybe they are 11336-B5000 and 11337-B5000, but those illustrations are terrible and I could be completely wrong.

• Like 1

11336-B5000 and 11337-B5000 are the 620 and 720 weld onto the frame brackets that the rubber engine mounts bolt onto.

All L series four cylinder before '80 and the six cylinder '79-'83 280zx and '78-'84 810/Maxima use the same gussets part number.

30429-K1200 RH

30430-K1200 LH

NOTE that the '80 720 which was the last year the L20B was used did NOT have gussets nor did any engine in the 720. This is likely why trying to put them on isn't working.

The Z20E and Z22E in the '80-'83 S110 200sx did have gussets, so some Z series engines DID use them, but not the same part number and this is likely only because they are aluminum. As mentioned I have a set and pretty sure I used them on my L20B so the only difference is likely the metal used.

30429-W0410 RH

30430-W0410 LH

So it would seem that the 720 transmissions just don't have the holes. Drill them out and be done with it.